Monday, November 16, 2009

Another Sign of My Youth Is Gone...

'Remote Control' Host Ken Ober Passes Away .....

Today, we at SC6 recognize the passing of the host of a show that defined part of my generation. Ken Ober, the host of MTV's 'Remote Control', passed away yesterday at the age of 52. The cause of death is not 100% certain, but it appears to have been a heart attack. Remote Control was the first non-musical program that MTV aired, and it was awesome, unlike the crap they put on there today. It was a trivia show, with small comedy bits in between. Thanks to the show, we got our first glimpses of Kari Wuhrer, Colin Quinn, and some guy named Adam Sandler ......

Sophomore year at East Carolina was spent entirely at my condo watching MTV 24/7 when I wasn't studying (not too often). Aerosmith, Terence Trent D'Arby, Debbie Gibson , Tiffany, Whitesnake and Poison were everywhere - until Most Wanted with Adam Curry came on - then came Remote Control. If were had grades for that show, I would have made Dean's List. Ober also did a tour called MTV Across America, where they visited odd landmarks, and they ended up in Thomasville, North Carolina to visit the famous Thomasville Chair. Dozens of people praying to a 25 foot high chair, like they just saw God... It was awesome.

Yeah, it's another sign that I'm not a kid anymore, and that we all get older and die eventually. Maybe a lot of people don't remember Ken Ober, but I do, and we'll play a clip for you now.....This is the first episode of Remote Control, posted by one of the contestants....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OLcvfVmws

.

3 comments:

pluvlaw said...

The fact that Colin Quinn has outlived Ober is proof that life is just a crapshoot.

And you're losing your touch, Reino. How do you run a post about Remote Control and not give us some Kari Wuhrer eye candy?!

Sometimes it's like I don't even know you...

Anonymous said...

Mike-being a few years older than you I find myself staring at 50(Yes I am facing the half a century mark). Like many 20 somethings from our generation I watched Remote Control but I did horrible. I can breeze thru Jeopardy and Who wants to be a Millionaire; but I stunk up the place trying to play RC from the couch at home.

I guess that is part of growing old and moving on is watching those we watched and grew up with who are no longer with us. My kids and grand-daughter may never know of Ken Ober and how MTV was once must see TV thats the advantage of age. In the meantime,can I have Mish-Mash for 150?

RIP, Ken you were a joy while we had the chance...teg

Thoroughbred 401k said...

You're right , P-Luv.... I'm like the drummer from REO Speedwagon! We can fix this...