Friday, May 05, 2006

The Property Tax Debate: One Size May Not Fit All.


I've been watching the Property Tax debate going on in Columbia from the sidelines, and it's time to weigh in a little bit. I've listened to Senator Leatherman and Senator Seesaw, and here is my opinion: Like many issues, they are both right, they just are looking at the issue from different sides.
I pay taxes on my house in Florence, and like Hughie says, our taxes aren't going up that much. Sure it was probably a good 15%, but it worked out to maybe $40 per year. Like the Finance Chair says, tinkering with the tax system might cause some problems locally.
I have lived in Charleston, and like Sen. Seesaw and NOHOMETAX.org says, the taxes are blowing through the roof due to exploding property values. There are plenty of retirees getting squeezed out of their houses. Well, if they're both right, what is South Carolina to do?
Sen. Larry Grooms has proposed letting each county decide for themselves. Maybe that is the way to go. The counties needing property tax relief on the coast could take the burden away from homeowners, and the more rural counties can stay with the current method, and avoid any budget shortfalls.
Judging by the length of this post, I'm just a casual observer on this topic. So, if you agree or disagree, or want to add a couple cents, post a comment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike --

Just wanted to drop you a note that Free Carolina is back and operating under a new name.

Check out the site and yes, I have linked your blog.

Mr. Furious (aka CA)

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Glad we got that straightened out. I often wish I were Captain America too, but I don't make up big lies about it........

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»