Friday, June 09, 2006

Mike Campbell Gets Zapped with The Malocchio, aka The State Endorsement.


In Italy we have something called the Malocchio , also known as the Evil Eye. It's kind of like a curse, but it's usually temporary. I still do it sometimes during the baseball playoffs, to help my NY Yankees when the chips are down. It really doesn't work, but can you explain
Aaron Boone?? I can...... Malocchio!!

Republicans have thier own form of Malocchio. It's called The State Newspaper Endorsement. Back in 2004, I got the endorsement to run against Jim Clyburn from The State. When it happened, I thought I had scored a major coup.... From Nowhere to Endorsed candidate in just 90 days!! Then reality set in. "Uh , Mike, that's not a good thing for a Republican." It's a bit like finding out you're having a baby - and that Bobby Brown is the father.
Well, Mike Campbell got a major Malocchio this week when Brad and the gang on Shop Rd. gave his candidacy their blessing - or curse. Right now, Campbell's camp are making phone calls across South Carolina, in full damage control mode. After all, SOMEBODY had to get the endorsement, right? I'm sure Mike wasn't really trying to win, it just happened by accident. I think the lack of a Press Release says it all. In short, this is nothing to be proud of.

My guess is Andre Bauer may have just gotten that 50% needed to avoid a runoff - but I'm worried Henry Jordan just zoomed past 10% after The State completely wrote him off ... If The State hates him THAT much, he must be OK!! If Campbell loses, he has a good reason now. I still blame them for losing in 2004. Okay, maybe not!

No comments: