Thursday, April 08, 2010

Fuzzy Thoughts: The Death and Taxes Edition



We return to one of our regualr posts after a week or two off. Yeah, things got pretty crazy for a while there, but after a few adjustments, the plan is still on track for 2010. It started with our well-publicized trip (publicized by us, not really anyone else) back to Flotown. To say with a few exceptions that it was a disappointment would be an understatement. Jack was quite the dull boy, for it was all work, and no play. Thanks to P-Luv, Moye , Earl, Ben, Chris and Paige for helping out, and going to dinner with me. I can't say much else for the rest. Lots of unanswered calls and texts......




As for politics, getting called up with no sleep and 700 miles on the road to read the Republican creed against my protestations was fun - especially being intro'd not as the Vice-Chair of the 6th District, but as 'an interesting character'. To say that there are people actively working against me behind my back in Flotown would be mild. My favorite would be the one who e-mailed my off-color remark to every County Chair in the District.... Here is my advice: luckily for you, I did not retaliate, but I can always change my mind. If you would like to see my compliation of your 'greatest hits' on SC6 - which links to BlogNetNews' 350,000 hits a week, and it a Green Check blog on Google - meaning I put your name anywhere on it, and it's the first thing that pops up on a Google search - keep screwing with me. You have everything to lose, and I have nothing to lose. The choice is yours..... Onto our regular fuzziness:




If a 2:30PM post seems off our regular schedule, there's a good reason. I got fired and hired in the same day! I FINALLY start at Mercedes-Benz on Monday. It's back to dress shirts, slacks and ties again. Pray it all works out...... The other distraction was obviously the loss of Loisann. It's been a tough week for a lot of people. The wake was tough, and the funeral tougher, but by then, the shock had worn off a bit, and reality has set in...... It has affected me in one strange way. Lois' beloved Rangers are a point down with a home-and-home series left with the Flyers. I'd never picture myself doing this, but this Islander fan will be rooting for the Blue Shirts. After that, it's OVER!




Weather report time: yesterday, it was 92 friggin' degrees in New York City. Out here on the Island, it was a more comfortable 85, which is about 28 degrees above normal. Alas, it ends tonight, with the upper 50's and low 60's forecast for the upcoming week...... With Spring, comes baseball season. Opening Day bullpen fiasco aside, the Yanks look pretty good so far, and even the Mets are competitive, and the Braves are 2-0. The Orioles - eh, not so good....





Onto politics. I'm pretty suprised by the number of last minute entries into some of the races. Here is my advice to all of the last minute shoppers: you guys are all idiots..... To the two ladies who decided to run from zero-to-Lt. Governor, yes! You have no shot at winning, but you might have had you started four or six months ago. These races take money, and they take effort - not just a Skype camera from your office. If you're running becuase you think Connor and Ard are weak, then you could have done this in late 2009. You snoozed, you will lose......




Not to self: as soon as this kid is done parallel parking around my car, park the car in the driveway from now on........Death and Taxes: the word in Flotown this week was the passings of former County Councilman and State Senator Tom Smith, and ex-Florence Mayor Pro-Tem Madison Rainwater. I never met Smith, but Ken Ard, who beat Smith in 2004, never said any bad things about him. I never met Rainwater as well, but the family is as old and familiar to Florence as Timrod School. Our condolensces to both families.....




Lastly, here are my two cents on the recent tax troubles of State Representative Kris Crawford: like most financial matters, the issue seems a bit cloudy. His old CPA says he didn't give him the info, Crawford says the CPA was late in sending the info he gave him. This much is true - a good CPA is worth his weight in gold, and it sounds like Crawford had a bad one. I'm actually a bit surprised that the SCDOR has gone to all this trouble to publicly embarrass Kris by arresting him over it. Word was, he met with them, paid the disputed amount, and they still booked him? Yes, Crawford has his detractors, both in Florence and Columbia. He's a little cocky and not the friendliest guy you'd ever meet. But, he's smart, he works hard, and just because he didn't cave in during the Sanford hearings doesn't mean he should have a bullseye on his back. It'll be interesting to see who was doing the shooting...... Hopefully, since it's resolved, it'll just go away....


.

2 comments:

Demeur said...

Stumbled upon your blog looking for a good death and taxes image for one of my posts. Interesting blog you have here. I shall return.
But I must ask. Don't you feel like Custer down there amongst the rethuglicons?

Thoroughbred 401k said...

No Demeur, I actually AM a Republican. The problem is I have Yankee roots, and therefore am a bit more moderate than many of them here. I have a few allies in the right places, so it's not that bad..