Monday, July 11, 2011

Derek Jeter Cracks Number 3000 ... And SC6 Is There Up Close !

The Captain Sends David Price's Third Inning 3-2 Curveball Into the Seats...



       OK, we're lying..... This was actually Hit Number 2999.  On Number 3000, I got the back of the guy in front of me's shirt.  Thanks for jumping in front of me at the last second, shithead !!   Still, this is a pretty good pic, considering I had to guess the timing based on the windup.  Take enough pictures, and one of them has to come out good, right?


    Maybe the pictures weren't perfect, but for me, the day sure was.. Saturday was yours truly's 43rd birthday.  I have to thanks Carol and Joe for the great gift.  At first, I told them I didn't care what I wanted for my birthday.  Fearing the usual dinner - cake thing, I was honest: I hadn't been to a game at Yankee Stadium since 1981, and Bombers were playing at home, so I wanted to go. Then stuff got crazy.... All I wanted was to get seats - anywhere.  But Joe is a nut with funds, so the next thing I know, were only eleven rows behind the Yankee dugout, and luck would put us right in front of Derek Jeter going for 3000.  Thank God for the Friday rainout....



 It was a day full of first time in a long times: first time on the train and subway in 16 years. No, I don't like going to the city...  Joe, Carol and Matty are ready to hit the park - and the bar!






   We had an hour to kill, so we got a beer, then headed up the Audi Lounge, where we found out that you can't bring beer into the elevators. Just got number 2, so we pounded that one, had another at the lounge, then discovered it was 5 minutes to game time, so we slammed another one.  Beer number four in an hour is a bit ahead of my schedule, but I managed to not puke....





The place looks almost fake. BTW, Reid Brignac, this will be the ONLY time you make my blog!









There were only 2 things hotter than the July sun: One was AJ Burnett (9k's in 5  2/3 innings). Aside from a couple gopherballs, he was dominant...









Make that three things... Carol's looking pretty badass before the game.  How the Hot Chick cam missed her is beyond me. Still, top honors went to someone else.....






    I like Derek Jeter a lot, although you always kind of hold back a bit because he's always been a favorite of the girls, and he's so damned perfect.  But, the way he took over the game on Saturday, when all eyes were on him, was legendary.  Not many guys can make 55000 people jump up and down, hugging and high-fiving total strangers.... It was almost unbelieveable that the greatest franchise in all of sports never had a player get 3000 hits.  Going 5-5 with the game winning hit in the bottom of the 8th is perhaps Jeter's finest stamp on a Hall of Fame career.  No dinky broken bat single in the waning moments of a too long career here, but only the second 3000th hit Home Run ever.  The rumor mill about when Jeter will be replaced has been humming for a year.  DJ silenced those whispers in a big way with his game Saturday.



   The game couldn't have been better.   Even Mariano Rivera came in to close out the win, although I wasn't in the stands for it. Didn't need to be - I heard every pitch...  Then, the real fun began!




After yelling 'Best Birthday Ever !!!' about 20 times, we headed next door to the Hard Rock Cafe for another beer, and wait for the train... Good times make for new friends - and we made a couple.








Say hey to Molly and Courtney.. They're from Buffalo originally, but Molly (the tall one) works in the city now, and damned if Courtney's fiancee works at the Robinson Plant in Hartsvegas.  Matty got to take their pic....








But tell 'em your a famous blogger, and the Ass Shots just seem to come out of nowhere.. Even talked them into coming out to Long Island, but that's a story for another day.  Shake it, girl !!







.

4 comments:

pluvlaw said...

Happy belated, brother. Been kind of crazy with work and work-related trips the last 3 weeks. Glad to see you got such a kick-ass memory as a gift. Look forward to seeing you when you get back down here to the Insane Asylum...

mg said...

Seems like a nice day.

Bobby said...

apparently the guy in front of you likes bourbon.

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day Mikey!! If you make it down for Earl's wedding, we can have a Horseman reunion, and the first round of BBQ is on me!! Better let Ms. June know so Manning can get ready for the parade...teg