Monday, August 07, 2006

SC6 Salutes Florence' s Own, Harry Carson !



This was a big week for the Pee Dee, as Florence native Harry Carson was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. While everyone talks about his stats, let me talk about what I know about Harry Carson...

In 1976, I became a Giants fan. I was 8, and I watched a game between the Giants and the 49ers. The Giants won, and and I was hooked. Little did I know that game was only the 3rd win for the G-Men that year. It was Carson's rookie year, and I can tell you one thing - the Giants were quite the crappy team for a long time. Carson was a bright spot for a truly bad franchise.

Well there are two things I remember most about Harry Carson: First he, was INTIMIDATING with a Capital I... The pictures I see of him now make me laugh a bit, because in his peak, with the 70's Fu Manchu, he scared the life out of opposing runners...

Secondly, the man was a quality guy. in his 13 seasons, I don't remember a scandal or even bad word regarding him... That was Lawrence Taylor's job! New York is a hard place to be a sports star. The fans expect alot, and they'll call you out wherever you are - ask A Rod. Harry stood tall and that's why he is so revered by Giants fans.

So, congratulations to Harry Carson - no Milton award for you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And that was before LT tried to snort the lines on the field...

Thoroughbred 401k said...

I like this kinda party, baby!!

Anonymous said...

He was a great player and I did not know he was from Florence. I must had inhaled in the 70's. I do know that in Canton this week he wanted more money for the retirees of the NFL and wanted the NFL to take better care of the old guys that have left the game. Also brought up the race card about how his ancesters would never believe where he was at if they were still around. Sounds like he is still from the PEE DEE.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Well, he did go to SC State - they go over that in orientation when you get there.

Anonymous said...

You are to much

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! jenna jameson home movies Twin scholarships Xenical and meridia combination breast+cancer Accounting software competitors canada Jansport roller backpack otc xenical Carlsbad tennis club