Saturday, June 19, 2010

Tales From the East End: Greenport

Chief Brody, Hooper and Quint Have To Be Around Here Somewhere , Looking For a Bigger Boat ...............



Continuing on up the North Fork of Long Island, only a mere eight miles from Orient Point, we stop in Greenport, or as I call it, Jawsville.... I swear, it looks just like Amity Island in Jaws... Hell, it even has the car ferry to transport people to Shelter Island, just like in the movie! As you know, Amity means friendship - and Greenport means.... Well, it means a port that's kinda Green.




What's cool about Greenport is that it's like a little trip to the old fishing village, where you can play your own game of I Know What You Did Last Summer, without the Top Shelf babes, of course... Greenport is different from most of the East End towns: it's older, poorer, and more black than other areas here. However, it has had a downtown renaissance (Flotown leaders, this is ANOTHER hint), and it's a thriving Summertime stop. That, and it may be the only place to gas up and get food for twenty miles.....I did almost stop at the Ice Cream shop, but time was getting short, so I passed.. But the main attraction is the waterfront. Here's some samples..





The old train station and Visitors Center. Greenport is the end of the line for the North Fork branch of the Long Island Railroad..








The ferry to Shelter Island - Yeah, that's a School Bus on the back....







I think this is a Seagull, but it could be a Gamecock. If that isn't enough to make a Southerner feel comfortable, how about this?









NASCAR Fans in Yankeeville !! I found this on a phone booth, but they could just be Budweiser fans.....








If catching a little Bohemian-style fun is your cup of tea, along with some great seafood at Claudio's, then Greenport is right up your alley... 'Farewell and Adieu, all you fair Spanish Ladies'.............


.

2 comments:

pluvlaw said...

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis.

But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter.

I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing

Thoroughbred 401k said...

That was beautiful, P-Luv... I give you a 9.8 , because I'm deducting 2/10th for not including the fingernail scratch on the blackboard!