Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dueling Solicitor Candidates On Monday....




Rose Mary Parham and Ed Clements to Announce On the Same Day ......
Here at SC6, we like things easy... We hate to have to keep our crib notes around while going through all the candidates to see what their differences are, and who we should vote for. So, when things like Monday's double announcement for 12th District Solicitor come up, we have to applaud the candidates for making our lives easier - and isn't that what life's all about?
We do have an interesting race between Republican candidate and former Assistant Deputy US Attorney Rose Mary Parham and Democrat incumbent Ed Clements III. We heard about Parham's candidacy, which has Florence and Marion County Republicans all jazzed up about fielding a candidate in a race that they've let go unchallenged lately. It was a bit hard posting any info for Parham from the little info we could get on her Facebook page, but we did piece together her work with the US Attorney's office and her handling of the recent Timothy Poole conviction from links provided.
Clements has served 2 terms we think in the 12th Solicitors Office, and we found out later that he will be announcing his campaign for re-election Monday as well. P-Luv has a post on Clements at http://www.behindthepine.blogspot.com/, and we're SURE he'll make a pitch for Clements here. Hopefully, we'll have some friends of Parham do the same. As for us, Solicitor campaigns just aren't that sexy to us. We'd like to think that a person charged with prosecuting criminals would do it similarly based on the rule of law, whether he/she has a R or a D hyphenated after their name. Meanwhile, we're glad to see that Parham and Clements are making that decision a bit easier by doing it together. Let's hope the media shows up and reports it, so voters actually CAN decide....
.

10 comments:

mg said...

It would be nice for the GOP to win this one.

pluvlaw said...

Let me first say it's a damn shame both candidates have scheduled their pressers for the day after the world ends. I am sure whatever humans show up for these two events will be gunned down by cyborgs wielding plasma rifles in a 40-watt range, since the World as we know it ends tonight according to John Boehner and Eric Cantor.

Second, let me say I do not know Mrs. Parham. I have met her husband before, who works in the same office she just resigned from and I thought he was a very nice guy and very sharp. I assume Mrs. Parham is the same (plus I understand someone I consider a very good atty and equally sharp is very involved in her campaign). So, while I would consider Ed a friend, my support is not based on personal relationships. (That's one great thing about being an atty--you learn to separate your personal feelings from work).

I try to stay out of Federal Court, b/c let's face it: criminal defendants stand very little chance in Federal Court. Just the way things shake out. As a criminal defense atty, in Federal Court, your job is usually talking your clients into ratting everyone out then doing math. Where's the fun in that?

*Now I suppose there will be some who read the above and proclaim: "aha! Why don't we have more fed prosecutors as state solicitors!" And those people would be foolish. Those differences are inherent in the two different systems, not in any two different people.

So my support of Clements has nothing to do with Mrs. Parham, nor with partisanship for that matter. In all candor, partisanship should mean nothing for this race, as your local solicitor's office is going to be staffed by people from every kind of background and you will be dealing with Republicans, Democrats and independents alike.

Having said that, I can say this, we have the best solicitor's office in the State. We do not need to change that. I serve on a board for the SC Defense Bar and I can promise you every month we hear horror stories from other circuits about their solicitor's offices that would make you cringe. By and large, I leave those meetings counting my blessings back that I practice in Florence.

I assumed that your local GOP looks at something like the last sheriff's race or recent Presidential/Gubernatoral races and thinks the numbers show a win (that was before I saw Earl's blog post by the way). I would disagree. I think that's an analysis that shows no comprehension of the particulars of the local political climate of the area and the extenuating circumstances of some of those races. But you and I can argue the numbers over a Purple Haze Thursday.

Here's the bottom line for me: if partisanship makes you pull the ballot here, nothing I say is going to convince you. And that's a damn shame considering the job this current Solicitor, his deputy Solicitors, his assistant solicitors and all his staff do. BTW, a lot of those people are Republican...

Having said all that...it's the beginning of another type of March Madness.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

P-Luv, I'm dizzy. All I got was that I'll see you Thursday. Does that mean you'll be at the Ken Ard fundraiser, or the Florence GOP meeting ???

pluvlaw said...

BTW, I am upset you did not respond to the Terminator quote with a "Hey...just what you see, pal."

pluvlaw said...

With using all those "having said that"s, I forgot to actually ask you: was this coming Thursday the night you talked about meeting at Creek Ratz? If so, is that some kind of GOP function? B/c if it is, I'd feel guilty showing up. Not necessarily guilty for showing up, but guilty when I was throwing Republicans out for crashing one of our meetings later (which means not really guilty, b/c we don't have meetings).

Thoroughbred 401k said...

No, it's an official Mike Reino function, which means there will probably be a lot of Republicans, a few Democrats, and thankfully, some people who couldn't care less about politics....


You must be quoting T1, which I only saw a couple times. I am much more literate at T2..... 'I need your boots, your clothes and your motorcycle........ You forgot to say please'.

mg said...

You guys lost me at let me first say.

mg said...

By the way pluvlaw at my meeting this month my door prize was two twenty five dollar gift certificates to Tator Creek Grill.

pluvlaw said...

$25 at the grill? That's living like a Rockafeller! That's a lot of corn nuggets. Someone's gonna be high-rollin' it.

BTW, Moye, I am going to ask that you start periodically giving me water temp readings in the comments sections. It's getting close to that time of year...

mg said...

The water is at the bottom of the dock and still cold. That was two (2) $25.00 gift certificates by the way to Tator Creek.