Saturday, July 22, 2006

Say Goodbye to the Rolling Ball Bar - My First Victim!



I forgot to comment on this from a few weeks ago, but the Rolling Ball Nightlife Bar in Florence closed recently. Don't worry, I'm not crying over this one..... The Rolling Ball was part of me getting into community affairs, then running for Congress, then my current campaign.

The Rolling Ball was a delightfully tacky redneck bar in a strip mall behind my house. That strip mall was my first foray into being active in the community. Twice, I beat the builder at rezoning the property, only to have them sue the county and rezone it without notifying the neighborhood... We were told it was "none of our business" by the county (F.U.).

Soon afterwards, the application came in, and somehow, my petition to the ABC Board in Columbia was lost - surprise, surprise.. The Rolling Ball was a redneck's dream , complete with camouflage plastic tables, icicle lights, and a toothy Hank Williams Jr Doll on the bar. Their favorite way of advertising was spray painting it on plywood!!

To be fair to them, I never heard a peep out of the bar, and they stayed open longer than I thought they would... But, bars don't belong 70 feet from my or anyone's backyard, so their unfortunate loss is a win for the neighborhood. Florence has a bad track record of putting things where they shouldn't be, all at a cost to the community. It is improving, but I still have doubts about some of them.

Anyway, Au Revoir Rolling Ball Nightlife !! Better luck elsewhere. By the way, there is a unit available in Third Loop Plaza.

11 comments:

earlcapps said...

That sucks ... darnit. Well, there's always another bar, and I always say the beer is cheaper at home anyway.

Anonymous said...

Third Loop... is that on the same road as Rogers BBQ? Or is that Second Loop?

Anonymous said...

I know people who are from Florence who bought places at Goat Island on Lake Marion just to be able to walk across the parking lot to have a beer or shot whatever. You may have a sale for your place Mike if a nice bar opens up. Not that Goat Island is that nice. Owned by some Florence people.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you said Goat Island on Lake Marion, Goat Island behind Isle of Palms doesn't have a parking lot, just docks to tie up homeowners' boats. Don't think that the coastal Goat island has a bar either.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Rhino, Roger's BBQ is on Second Loop..

Anonymous said...

The Goat Island behing the Isle of Palms is nice been there. The one on Lake Marion is mostly a trailer park.

Anonymous said...

is there room for another pizza place now?

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Yes, but there is now a liquor store in there instead - which is what the owner wanted in the first place.

Anonymous said...

About the liquor store good selection.

Anonymous said...

Two demerits for being a politician and responding to something by saying "FU".

Anonymous said...

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am genuinely impressed to read everthing at single place.