Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Congress Goes the "I'm Never Drinking Again" Route With Spending ...

Is This The House Freshman Caucus? Hey, You Never Know ....

"And I Swear By Almighty God, That I'm Never Drinking Again....I'm Gonna Get Back My Girlfriend, I'm Gonna Get Back My Job. I'm Never Drinking Again."

'Tobe's Got a Drinking Problem' by Street Dogs

Sometimes in life there are universal experiences - moments or things that we've all heard at least once in our lives. One of them is the Saturday or Sunday morning vow, "I'm Never Drinking Again". That day after regret of a night of overindulgence... Let me ask you - has anyone that's made that promise ever kept it? Of course not, and it's with that in mind that we show the same hypocrisy in Congress......

I got my weekly update from MegaVote - which we encourage you to sign up with for you Congressional update - and this past week , the House passed the bringing back of Pay As You Go. If you don't remember what it was, it basically says that all taxation and regular budget items must be neutral. That is, all scheduled budget items must show that the money is there to pay for it, thus the budget deficit will not get any worse. Sounds good, right? Sure. However, this leaves us with a couple questions.....

The first question is WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG ???? My first thought was that this would have been a great idea six or eight months ago - before we hit the all you can eat Budget Buffet. Of course, Congress had no thoughts of reigning in spending until after the bonanza for the Banks, Stimulus and Health Care were overwith. In short, let's get totally drunk, then we'll quit drinking - I promise.... It's a couple trillion dollars too late.

But, even if they are sticking to the vow, we still need to know - HOW ARE THEY PAYING FOR IT? The budget deficit , even with the extra stuff taken away, is still in the $500 billion range. So, where is the gap made up? Spending cuts? Uhhhhh..... We won't say it aloud, but we all have a good idea how DC makes up budget deficits. After all, drunk don't cut down on their alcohol consumption, they grab $5 from their buddy's wallet....

It's all pretty typical of Congress to symbolically look like they're doing something, after they've already done the opposite as far as it can go. The liquor cabinet, the bartender has flicked the lights and off, and it's past 4AM. Time to go home and sleep it off, folks.... In case you've never heard the song, here's a clip of it. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6HWaWFHeEA

.

No comments: