Thursday, July 02, 2009

I May Have Found My Governor Candidate Tonight


If there's a lesson to be learned this week, it's that you don't know everything about everyone, especially in politics. I found that out tonight.... I'll giev you a little insight to SC6 here. Before I attend an event, I usually have an idea of what the post will be like, but tonight , I didn't really have a plan. When that happens, you just let the event take you there, and tonight I got a big surprise.....
The race for Governor is a long way off, and of course it's too early for endorsements. But, I'll be honest, despite what appears to be a stacked field, none of the current crop of candidates has gotten me enthused - that is, until tonight.
Now, I've known Larry Grooms for about 5 years now. His Senate district is smack in the middle of my old Congressional campaign area, so we ran into each other often. Heck, I've even been in his house and met the family. His ability to win in a Democratic stronghold district gave me hope that good things were possible in the 6th.. But, I always found Larry to be a very reserved, quiet and congenial person. The term 'Nice Guy' fit very well. Tonight, i saw Larry Grooms speak for the first time as a candidate for Governor, and it was something....
For those of you who know me, I look for two things from any candidate - Numbers and Specifics. Don't bore me with talk about HOW conservative you are, or if you're Pro-Life, Pro-Gun or Pro-Business. Tell me where the probelms are in Columbia, and how to fix them. Grooms spoke for solid 45 minutes about who, where and what Columbia is doing wrong, and what specific legislation and corrections need to be made. More importantly, he had passion. Too many politicians speak or appear to have a suit or armor - or boredom - around them. Larry Grooms is a guy who is pretty tired of how the GOP-led Senate and House have gone haywire with spending and regulation in South Carolina. In short, he may be what a lot of us were hoping for when we elected Mark Sanford, but with the experience in Columbia to affect positive change. One difference between them, which he disclosed in answering a guest's question, is that he has never been to Argentina......
I do have one worry here. Those of you who know me know my track record in my candidate's success in winning. I may have completely submarined Larry's chances like a U-Boat commander. Yes, his chances could be better, but he is worth a look. If your local party hasn't had him speak to your group, they need to do so, so you can make up your own mind......
.

2 comments:

pluvlaw said...

Did he have you at hello?

I'm waiting on the draft Jenny movement. You know it's coming.

Anonymous said...

Mike--I think the coming few days could change a lot of things.If Sanford is out we could see some candidates get out and even others announce. The 2010 elections are starting to look more like a Wrestlemania battle royal than a guberatorial race...teg