Thursday, March 23, 2006

Music Review: Nickelback, Chevelle and Trapt at the Colonial Center......




I just got back from the Nickelback concert in Columbia tonight. I got a last minute ticket at half price ( excellent), so my buddy Bobby an I went and checked it out. Although I don't own a Nickelback album, I know probably 10 songs, so I thought I'd enjoy it. I definitely did1
Trapt opened up, and they were good. The PA at the Colonial Center is not the best I've heard ( after all, it is a basketball arena), so the mixing was a bit off for Trapt, but the singer did a great job of getting the crowd into it. Maybe half of the crowd showed up late, but it was a school night!
Chevelle was good as well. The band is a trio, so there was a little thinness on some songs where two guitars would fatten the sound up, but the bass was thick enough to make up for it. the singer/guitarist had the most odd stance I've seen: Kind of like a question mark, with his foot on the monitor , and endless head shaking. Chevelle music can be a bit of a downer at times, but overall, they were better than I thought they'd be.
Nickelback was unbelieveable. From the first moment, there were explosions , lights, video screens and pyrotechnics, and it didn't stop for the whole show. Aas far as the music, Chad Kroeger was on all night, and they really appreciated the crowd. The cleaner songs (Photograph, Goodbye) were flawless, and the heavier songs were a bit up and down ( again, the PA), but these guys came to rock. There also was a tribute to Dimebag Darrell Abbott, which was very nice.
A couple other tidbits. Each band switched guitars between each song- a bit annoying, but not a major distraction. Most importantly, lovely college aged lladies, and even a few parents were at the show. My guess is that a few mommies and daddies were surprised with the language. Overall, it was probably the second best show I'd been to, surpassed only by Korn , Disturbed and Trust Company in Marion a couple years back. why ? A better PA.

1 comment:

Thoroughbred 401k said...

sorry, no pics from the show...We didn't bring a camera, and they weren't allowed anyway.