Monday, March 27, 2006

New Recurring Post: Life with Dad........


I'll be starting a new series here, documenting shacking up with my dad here in Florence. My dad is 81 years old, and his doctor doesn't want him to be on his own. Apparently, I drew the short straw among the kids, so we are sharing a house here.
Needless to say, my dad and I don't get along very well. We are polar opposites in every respect. If you've ever seen "Nothing in Common" with Tom Hanks and Jackie Gleason, that will give you the idea. Pops has the gift of being able to push every button that I have. What's made it worse is his paranoia has worsened, but he has also slowed down a lot the past few years. Stairs are a challenge to him, and he gets tired pretty quick. As hard as it is to live with him, he needs the help.
The smart thing I did do is finding a place big enough to be out of reach, but within earshot. actually, this place has the biggest bedroom I've ever had! The challenge right now is unpacking 40 years worth of crap, and still going to work often enough to make money. Unpacking has been interesting so far: I found 22 shakers of Paprika ( I kid you not), and enough dishes to feed the 82nd Airborne... Yesterday, he called to say he lost my dog - then found him behind the garage.
I hope this will be an interesting series, and some therapy to vent the frustrations that will no doubt ensue. Expect part comedy, part learning experience.

1 comment:

earlcapps said...

Mike - best of luck, and have fun!