Saturday, March 10, 2007

Meeting a Real Hero........ Florence's Wesley "Camp" Ross.


The word "hero" is thrown around a lot. While everyone is allowed to name anyone their hero, there are very few people who can universally be regarded as a hero. I got to meet one this week at work. His name is Wesley C. Ross Jr., but everyone calls him Camp.
Camp Ross went to South Florence High, and joined the Marine Corps afterwards. While stationed in Iraq in the War on Terror, his unit was hit by an IED, and he was severly wounded. He had severe head injuries, and many of his doctors didn't think he would live. While at Walter Reed, President Bush came to visit, and Camp's dad went to the President and told him that he needed to visit his son. George Bush did so immediately. Everyone in Florence knows this story...
Well, Camp recovered from his injuries and lives in Florence still. On Tuesday, he ended up at my dealership with a recall on his truck , and it took me a minute or two to realize who he was. After taking care of the work, I asked Camp how he was doing, and I told him that I appreciated what he has done for our country. Maybe he had heard it a lot, maybe not, but I could see that it made him feel good to hear it. That's all they ask for..
I've said this before, and I'll say it again.. If you see a soldier, tell him/her thanks. That, and pick your heroes carefully. They're a lot closer than you might think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right we should thank our soldiers and pray for them everyday.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Not a very contraversial post, but this kid's refusal to die, and his pride of being a Marine are noteworthy. The scars of his ordeal will probably be there for life, but he's a fighter, so kudos to him and all our fighting men and women.

Anonymous said...

I flew to Houston today out of Fayetteville via Charlotte. Man you talk about a bunch of soldiers. I watched a couple today in the parking lot kiss. The soldier must had just got home. He was at least 50 and it was such a nice thing to witness. Almost brought a tear to my eyes. Is this a great country or what.