Saturday, March 10, 2007

SC6 on the Road......... Dinner on the Vista.


In all the hustle of the last few weeks, I finally got to go out last night - not that I had the time. After finishing up at 6PM Friday ( 30 minutes later that I should), I hopped in my car and went to visit my Cousin Johnny from Pennsylvania. His son Christopher is graduating from Fort Jackson this week, then it's onto Army Ranger School at Fort Benning. Chris was the scrawny kid who would jump off the roof of your house if you dared him. Some things never change.
I picked up John at the La Quinta on Garners Ferry, so rather than take him to Shoney's , I decided to take him to The Vista. After a couple of stops where the wait was an hour, we ended up at The Liberty Bar and Grill. I'm not sure if it's the same one as Myrtle Beach's, but the menu was much different.
Like the typical Columbia bar, there were plenty of Navy Blazered/Khaki Pants/Blue Pinstripe Shirt-wearing, Frat/Statehouse Page guys there. At the bar during the wait, I had a Samuel Adams White Ale - yummy! Too bad it's seasonal.....
On to dinner. I got the Crab Dip with about 100 bread squares to dip into it. For the main course, I had the Congressional Chicken (ironic, right?). It was kind of like Marsala, but not so gravy-like, and they roasted the chicken in something pretty spicy, but it was excellent. Of course, by the time I was done, it was almost 1100PM. I dropped Johnny back at the hotel, got back to Flotown by midnight, and got up at 600am to work again. Today was a blur.....
After not seeing Johnny for about 7 years, it would've been nice to stay longer, but that's how it goes. The bar is a bit loud, but the food was great. Liberty Bar & Grill - I recommend it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Vista is still a small area but nice. I have eaten at a couple of restaurants there but mostly went for the alcohol and party.
Which one of the restaurants does or did Mike Campbell own. Which one did Rick Quinn suppose to have gotten in the fight at. Tell your cousin to be careful and God Bless America.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Ask your Dad. he and I attended one of his early parties there, but the name escapes me.

I think the bar is called the Back Door or something like that. Never been there as far as I know. as fra as knowledge of Cola goes, I might as well be visiting Egypt.

Anonymous said...

Lunchtime, I'd have suggested the Blue Marlin; Dinner perhaps Villa Tronco (off Main St, near the county courthouse) or Yesterday's in Five Points...

Anonymous said...

WR at least you did not recommend the Lizard Thicket.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the critique there Emeril!

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Just showing that I get out of the house once in a while.. hey Moye, isn't the Lizard Thicket the place where they MAKE you eat the peanut shells off the floor?

Anonymous said...

moye, Lizard's Thicket was a favorite of Mom's, though that was a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

WR I like the Lizard's near the Mansion ok it is the one at the airport I am scared of. I have also tried the new one out on the Sumter Highway and was not impressed.

Anonymous said...

No Mike Reino that is located here in Houston and I am going to go there after the Rodeo tonight.

Anonymous said...

moye, hope that ya left the tie in the car.

The Airport Thicket I've been to, though that was eons ago, the ex- lived 'round the corner. In area I'd head for Maurice's, Sandy's or Rush's subject to whim, unless it was Friday or Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Maurice BBQ is ok for a change. I like the vinegar base myself. Rush's is also ok for a burger late at night on the weekend. Service is slow for sure.

Anonymous said...

moye, I can go for vinegar/pepper or mustard, though I grew up downwind of a Maurice's location that is now occupied by an I-77 overpass on the Sumter Highway (so yella sauce runs in these veins).

I have found a curious mix of the two in Murrell's Inlet at Prosser's...

I'll leave the ketchup versions for midwestern style ribs and Texican brisket... (Smoky Bones has a decent brisket and a fine Brunswick stew for a chain).