Tuesday, March 27, 2007

SC6 Notice to Everyone.......... Stop Trying to Get a Passport, 'Cause You're Slowing Mine Down, Dammit!!



Quit Rubbing it in, Kid !!




What does this kid have that I don't? Aside from being cute as a button, even she has a passport!! Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on mine, and the news didn't get any better today...

I'm pretty much ready for one of my New Year's resolutions - travelling internationally. That is, aside from having the one piece of paper necessary to leave the US. If you have never applied for a passport, I'll tell you about the nightmare I've had.

I never thought I would ever travel outside of the United States, but never say never.. Well, the United States government , in it's infinite wisdom, deems which document as the most important to confirm your identity? YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE !!!! I'm 38 frickin' years old ! The last time I saw my birth certificate was when I was 16, and I doctored it to let me play hockey. So, how do I get a copy? I have to get a copy from that bastion of courtesy - New York.

I called the hospital I was born in first, and they explained that all the records are at the Township Hall, and they even had the phone number - so far, so good. Then the progress hit the skids...... The town has one person who handles birth records, and she proceeded to use 10 sick days before finally coming back to work. Before you ask - Yes, she's in a Union.

She got back to work, and did send it off to me pretty quickly. By the way, I found out that I was born at a different time than my parents told me - and that the milkman is NOT my Dad! I bolted to the Post Office asap to get it in the hopper. After waiting 25 minutes for her to return from lunch, I gave her the pictures, birth certificate, $97 , driver license, completed application stating where and when I am going, my last 3 bank statements, NRA card, a bottle of Red Bull that she made me get, and a pack of Lucky's.....Then she said, "OK, it'll come in 6-8 weeks". UH........WHAT?

After clasping my jaw back on and realizing that I just pooped a brick, I checked the calendar. I should have about two weeks to spare before I go. Then came today's news....... The State Department said that passports are taking an extra TWO WEEKS to arrive. Why? It seems that since they are requiring that you need a passport to go to Canada and Mexico, the volume is unexpectedly high. So, my application is jammed in with 12 million aliens trying to get home, and ... do people go to Canada?

Five and a half weeks before I go overseas, and I have no idea when this damned thing is coming. Any tips? Maybe I should call my Congressman. Nevermind...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can pay to have it expedited but I do not know if you can since you did not do that to start with. You can get one in Houston in 24 hours if you got the time and money but again you already applied the slow way. Bet you went to the main Post Office in Florence. By the way where you going Mike.

Anonymous said...

Senor Reino, my friend Senor Clyburn might help you if you tell him you are a amigo of mine

Anonymous said...

You can call Senator Graham's local office, they have assisted some people that I know that were having Passport issues.

Anonymous said...

just tell them, "diplomatic immunity"...hey, it works in the movies!

Anonymous said...

You know Mike I bet Clyburn would love to help you.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

I will be announcing my trip shortly before I go, and I will make as many posts as possible while there.

I would ask Clyburn for help, but I'm afraid all I would get is an exit visa - one way!