Saturday, April 28, 2007

Florence GOP Vice-Chair Announces Junket Behind the Old Iron Curtain...
















Okay, Yakov Smirnoff is Russian, and the flag is Ukrainian. To most people, it doesn't matter anyway. On to the announcement.............





On Friday, May 4th I will be taking my first real trip/vacation. I'll be flying out of Charlotte, and after stops in Munich and Vienna, I'll end up Odessa , Ukraine. Yeah, most people go on vacation to the Bahamas or Hawaii, but that's just the way Reino rolls..........





Odessa is in the southwestern Ukraine, on the Black Sea. Known as the Las Vegas (or Las Wegas, depending on the accent) of Eastern Europe, it has a great mix of Old European architecture, along with fantastic nightlife. At least that's what the brochure says.....





Along with the sightseeing, I will be experiencing the culture and the Economic and Political relationship between the Ukraine and the United States. The only difference between this trip and a real junket is that the taxpayers are not paying for it! I will also send a message to the Ukrainian leadership from the US to improve relations in these tough times. Perhaps I can calm down Putin and bridge the gap between Yushchenko and Yanukovich. Wait a second..... That's Nancy Pelosi's job.





For those of you worried about me going to a Non-English speaking country, don't worry. There are plenty of people who speak the language there, and I've been working on my Ukrainian for a few months. Dobroghu ranku, tsukor... Vybachte, Yak vashe zvaty? (Good morning sweetie. I'm sorry, what is your name?) See?? No problem!





Seriously, I will be posting every day to let everyone know 1) What i am doing, and 2) That I'm fine... Keep checking the blog daily for the latest. I've made some friends over the last few months here, so I won't be alone, and hopefully, i'll make a few more. It'll be a reverse Borat experience, minus the anus-sniffing and Pam Anderson.





I should have a great time - no doubt it will be more fun than sitting at my desk like I have for the past 12 months without a day off! Any special requests? Let me know, and I'll work on it. Sorry Kirk, I can't bring and Russian assault weapons back, but I'll take pictures for you...





Do pobachennya !!



9 comments:

earlcapps said...

Mike - to help you appreciate some of the cultural aspects of the region, go back over my blog postings on Eastern Christianity. Greek, Melkite, Ukranian, Russian, Ruthenian, etc ... it's all about the same.

... and pick me up an icon or two for my collection while you're sight-seeing.

Remember, when visiting a church in the region, don't make the sign of the Cross left to right with an open hand, like most Catholics. Right to left, three fingers held together to represent the Holy Trinity.

What's that sign you're making ... I see you waving one finger in the air. Am I REALLY number one?!?

Seriously, enjoy the trip, and don't do anything I wouldn't (short list ...).

Anonymous said...

overheard near Democrat congressman's office,

"Im my country there is problem and that problem is the Reino.
The Reino votes for Republicans and blogs about Fidel's friend."

"So throw the Reino down the well, so my Clyburn can be free.
Throw the Reino down the well
and we'll have a big party."

Please to be taking many pictures of men in ill fitting black suits with sunglasses, also to be talking as Siciliano as possible.

Anonymous said...

Too bad your name isn't Clyburn. Then you could take the trip for free.

Same district, they just got the names wrong ... you're Congressman Reino, from the Sixth District. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your travels and have fun if you can it will be educational for sure. Hope you can find a place and time to let us know how you doing. I remember a couple of years ago in Yanrakynnot Siberia Russia I gave up until I got back to Alaska on communicating with anyone. Bring me some good vodka or better yet bring yourself back refreshed and safe. Later you are the man.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Anon, maybe I can get part-time staffer status!
Usually, they tell you to call your Congressman to get your passport fixed - but that wasn't possible. Not with the Fish Fry and Ass Kiss Festival going on....

Anonymous said...

Could somebody tell me how Mike Huckabee is doing in the straw polls at GOP conventions by county? Obviously, with a heavyweight heir-apparent to the Campbell machine like Mikey Campbell working the grass roots, he must be doing great!

Anonymous said...

lets have a farewell dinner for you in case you get caught up in some sort of revolution over there.

earlcapps said...

Watch out for those strange, strange customs officials. I hear they do full body cavity searches, kind of like in the Beavis and Butthead movie.

Anonymous said...

yea