Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day 2010 ....



We took a special trip out today to Pinelawn National Cemetary in Pinelawn, NY to commemorate Memorial Day today. I used to lay the flags on the tombstones as a kid in Boy Scouts here, and I was hoping to photograph them doing it today, but I think I was a day late.... Literally tens of thousands of America's veterans are buried here, and it's pretty awe inspiring to see how many men and women gave their service to our country - and many gave their lives.....



As a kid growing up in peacetime, I don't think we understood the sacrifice people gave then.... We do now though.







The flags line the sides of Memorial Drive...









A monument erected in 1940, just before hundreds of thousands of other Americans would die in War...








Whether it's a single marker......




Or hundreds, we hope they reminded you of why we have today off... If you see a soldier tell them Thank You...

.

No comments: