Tuesday, May 25, 2010

SC6 Remembers The Great Hailstorm of 2000

Them's Ain't Shotgun Pellets .... They's Hail Damage !!

After yesterday's stirring of the pot, we decided to be less contraversial, and remember one of the more interesting days of our lives: the 10th Anniversary of the Great Pee Dee Hailstorm. How do I know it was today? Because for the next six months afterwards, I had to write "05-25-00" on the insurance claim Date of Loss for all the car rentals at Enterprise... That's how...

Ahh, I remember it like it was yesterday.... It was about 7:30PM, and it was kinda crappy out, when the weatherman came on and said there was a trail of golf ball size hail traveling from Timmmonsville to Evergreen - and my house was right in the middle of that line. Next thing I know, for 15 minutes straight, it sounded like the Watts riots of 1965, as if my house was encircled by people throwing rocks at it from every angle... And my car was outside, because I was storing my brother's enormous home gym in the garage.

Afterwards, everyone in the neighborhood finally came out like survivors of a nuclear holocaust, to assess the damage. My car had $3700, and the house got about $5000 damage on the roof and a few windows. Of course, I kept the check and didn't fix the roof, which I'll finally do this year. In Flotown, the path of destruction went all the way across the West and South sides of town, and we were soon introduced to two new things: Dent Removal Repairmen, and Flat tires from roofing nails! It probably lasted about a year before they all left.

Feel free to share your own memories, and let's hope we don't see another like that ever again....

.

3 comments:

pluvlaw said...

The anniversary was marked by the "great Haley storm" of 2010 blowing into town. How apropos...

bobby said...

softball sized hail at my house

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Right now, Bobby??