Friday, February 10, 2006

The Gutsy American: The African-American Republican

A lot people tell me that I'm a pretty gutsy guy for running in such a tough area. Some people's guts are other people's stupidity. However, events take place on the road that show us candidates that there are stronger people far tougher than us out there everyday. I got an example of that in Walterboro last night.
I spoke at the Colleton County GOP convention to about 30 people, and six or seven of them were African-American. I didn't know if they were there out of curiousity or genuine caring - I was just glad they were there. I'll let you in on a little secret. If there are 100 white people and 3 blacks, I watch the reaction of the black voters. I preach to the choir everytime, but my job is to reach, not to preach. Nothing makes me more excited than to express my platform, look up, and see African-Americans smile and shake their heads in agreement - like , " This guy gets it".
I talked briefly about the universal issues among us: Taxes, Social Security, Eminent Domain , Honesty in Politics and Racial Unity. I also personally thanked the African-Americans who came, because we sometimes take for granted the pressure on them to vote Democrat. While Democrats bring up Jim Crow, and their struggle to vote at all, today there is a different polling tactic - the view that blacks who vote Republican are betraying their own people. Blacks who don't vote Democrat aren't viewed as openminded and impartial - they're viewed as sellouts, jackasses and "tokens".
After I spoke, a young lady named Kathy, who drove about 15 miles to come to the convention, shyly told me I had her and her friends votes, and asked what she could do to help. I asked if she had $2100 - just kidding!! I got her info, and I thanked her again, and told her that I understood how much she was sticking her neck out for me. Over 90% of African-Americans still vote Democrat, but thanks to people like Kathy and her friends, it is improving, one person at a time. That's why I am running. One more note: Someone there took my Reino for Congress sign home with them - guess they couldn't wait til June.

No comments: