Friday, February 17, 2006

My Congressman Went to Africa, and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt, and a Bill.

After three weeks of doing nothing, Congress is taking a week off. Of course that means it's time for "fact finding trips". A bunch of them, including Our Ambassador of Badwill and Joe Wilson, are going to Africa. I never understand a lot of these international trips - maybe it's easier now to take a junket out of the US than in it. Sure , they'll see AIDS patients, visit a few sites, and see how poor the Dark Continent is doing overall, but do they really need to spend our money so they can see it 'firsthand". I doubt it.
One question. No doubt after this trip, people are going to ask for money. Probably, these will be the same people who complained how could we keep spending money in Iraq, instead of on Katrina victims. I suppose it's just a matter of race.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dems aren't the only ones taking expensive junkets.

Every trip that one of our congressional reps takes, Rep. or Dem. costs a fortune. These trips they love to take to Iraq, or Afghanistan are hugely expensive because of the precautions that have to be taken during their visits.

Cheney's hunting trip in Texas cost taxpayers more than Clyburn's trip to Africa.

Not saying Clyburn's right, just that it goes both ways.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Yes it does go both ways. I did include Joe Wilson, who I like a lot. I might be partisan, but I'm not always partisan.