Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Hope the New Building has a Toilet, Cause I Don't !!

I've been reading the Orangeburg T&D lately. They've had a nice series of articles on the real problems in the area. Apparently, there are a whole slew of people who don't have indoor plumbing or electricity in the city and county, some within a few hundred feet of the SC State campus. Meanwhile, on campus, SC State is breaking ground on the $70 million dollar Clyburn Transportation Center, all paid for with Federal Tax dollars.
Now, we've all had to live without electricity, but if you want true deprivation, try living without water sometime. I did once. I visited my brother, and he hadn't paid the water bill in about 2 years. After about 4 hours, I paid the $300 myself just so I could brush my teeth again!
It seems to me that we have some people with really mixed up priorities down there. Before we go building a Taj Mahal ( and at $70M , you can bet it will be), could we make sure the people in the city limits don't have to poop in an outhouse first?

1 comment:

Chip said...

The Clyburn Transportation Center? I had no idea there was such a thing... Interesting.

He seems to do okay at bringing home the pork. Maybe too good.