Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Jim McGee Quits, Atty's Pop Up From Everywhere to Run!!

I was watching Channel 13 in Florence, and they are reporting that SC Rep. Jim McGee (R-Florence) will not run for re-election this year. I was only mildly surprised. Jim's first concern has always been his family, and the politics and BS in Columbia probably wore him out. McGee is my State Rep., so the first thought in my head was to possibly run to replace him. District 63 is a small, 90% Republican area, so it would be a lot easier to mount a campaign. Then I got to the meeting.
It turns out that now about 15 people want to take his place, mostly attorneys. I haven't seen any of these guys at a party meeting in 3 years, but now they are all Republicans. Not that it really matters, as long as they have money. As my buddy Dean Fowler, Flo. Cty. Treasurer said, "Some people run for the right reasons, some just run". I really liked Jim McGee. I got to hang out in his office with him, Murrell Smith, Marty Coates and Mike Thompson as they discussed PPIC ( for Mrs. Moffly, Put Parents in Charge ). He is a moderate voice of reason, willing to stick his neck out on an issue.
Now he's probably going to be replaced by a Good Old Boy elitist out to pad his bank account. So goes the world - might makes right.

No comments: