Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Morning News Is a Good Paper.........FOR ME TO POOP ON !!!




Just kidding.... Or , as Triumph would say, " I kid, I kid". I've been holding this post back a couple weeks on the off chance that I might have had a shot at an endorsement. Well, it was made official today........... and I didn't get it. Que sera! The whole scenario gives you an idea of how little the press knows about the candidates they interview - and maybe how much work I need in getting my message across.

The endorsement is different from other papers, such as The State, where several Editors interview you. The Morning News is solely the decision of editor Harry Logan - and Logan isn't exactly a real big fan of mine. It's kind of a love/hate relationship. Not to make too much out of that, I'll focus on the reasons given.

First off, FMN stated that neither myself, nor my opponent seemed to grasp the importance of countywide zoning or planning. I've been intimately working with zoning and planning for years. I guess that court case with WalMart I've been involved in for the past 3 years doesn't count. Well, the problem is that FMN seems intent on inflicting it's will on the rest of the county. Florence County is not just the city of Florence. Johnsonville, Pamplico and Timmonsville are much more rural areas, and to try to fit that square peg into the round hole is not paying attention to the opinion of the rest of the county. So, right or wrong, I didn't agree, so Strike One.

The other two reasons are funny. The other guy seems to have a better understanding of Economic Development affecting other areas more than I did, according to FMN. I might believe this if the other guy could point directly to anything that he had done that has created a single job. On the other hand, I wrote a tax incentive plan that eventually became the Jobs Creation Act of 2005, and has helped add tens of thousands of jobs. I guess it's not important what you really know, but what game you talk.

Lastly, since the other candidate was on the School Board for three years, he is more experienced with budgets. Does anyone out there NOT work with budgets?? I've been doing budgeting since college. of course, in business, you can't fake a budget shortfall in order to raise the millage. If the Board can show me where they ever actually cut something from the previous year, I'll respect what they do more.

Despite not really saying anything good about me, FMN only gave him a "slight edge" in their endorsement. It did make me realize that I haven't done a great job of showing what I've done to get here, and why I am the better choice. The potential of each of us wasn't taken into account much. The other guy will be an oky councilman - I have the potential to be a GREAT councilman - one who can affect real change in the County. I wasn't expecting to get the endorsement, but you always hope for a suprise. then again, I'd gladly trade a surprise today for a surprise on Tuesday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You still angry. Now get out there and beat that pavement.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Let me get some sleep first!! I thought it might have sounded that way, but really I just wanted to state what I thought were errors.

Anonymous said...

Now serious I wished you would had gotten the FMN endorsement. It is the only paper so to speak in FLOTOWN. That paper reminds me of the Sumter Item for some reason. There are a lot of papers in this state actually SC I am in LA tonight that will endorse people that are going to lose. Mike you really have a chance. If the right people show up at the polls and you can spend the last couple of days knocking on the right doors you got a shot to take this race. Making the right calls to the right numbers you got a chance. I have spent the last two weekend or parts of them calling the list generated by the GOP for my area. Do you have such a list. Remember right doors ok.

Anonymous said...

Hey I am joking about you being angry from the post you did several weeks ago. This post shows no anger at all. I would tell you if it did.

Anonymous said...

Mike, one recommendation to anyone running for office, when you sit down for an interview, even a panel interview withh the fishwrapper, pull out your own recorder and start it. The threat of the whole truth about what you said bieng out there, particularly if you can hang it on the web where anyone can confirm that they took something way the hell out of context, somehow has a capacity for being a light unto their paths and ehlping them find Jesus. It may also keep us from the Mike you so angry syndrome.

FMN shows its own agenda, which cold be well counter to the good of your district...

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Rhino, that may be true to a point, but introspection made me realize that I am not stating my ideas in a clear, coherent manner. I had another interview this week that ended up in todat FMN, and it was exactly what I said. I made adjustments, and it looked much better in the paper than previous ones.

Anonymous said...

Now get out there and beat the pavement.