Sunday, November 05, 2006

One Cent Makes Sense.... And Chickens of Candidates.



I had a post on this months ago, so I won't go into the issue of the State Infrastructure Bank, but I read an advertisement for the penny tax increase. It includes a list of singatures of those who support the tax, and I am listed on it. I spoke of the good and bad aspects of it, but on the whole, Florence County will benefit from it, so I signed it.

The odd part is that the other three candidates for County Council are in favor of it as well, but somehow, their names are absent from it. So much for putting your signature where your mouth is. Sure, I know a lot of people who disagree with the tax, and I respect that. However, it seems to me that if you are in favor of an issue, you will have the guts to show your support, and take the criticism that may come with it. It's a good thing that the men in the room back in 1776 didn't worry about it.

Politics is a funny thing. Just say what everyone wants to hear, even if you can't do it, and don't dare take a stand for anything seems to be the order. It should come as no surprise that I was the ONLY candidate to sign the petition , along with EVERY sitting member of County Council. I hope that the voters look at this and see that candidates need to have specific ideas and stances on issues, not just tag lines and slogans. Two days to go, back to work!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now get out there and beat that pavement.

Anonymous said...

I see where you are coming from on this and a penny ain't much. Once a tax always a tax I say. If it brought jobs to Florence or is not wasted it may be worth it. Me I am not in favor of any tax increase period. In fact I would like to see most tax reduced or done away with as much as possible.

Anonymous said...

Do you believe the ad that it will create 7000 jobs or am I on the wrong thing.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Uh, I think it is probably a little overstated, but that happens.

Anonymous said...

I know it passed but what was the votes.