Thursday, December 17, 2009

SC6 Remembers The Battle of the Bulge...... And My Uncle Pete.




It's a big week for anniversaries of famous events this week. This first is a gallant but sad event - at least in my house. Yesterday was the 65th anniversary of the start of the Battle of the Bulge, the last great fight in the European Theatre of World War II. I never knew a lot about it as a kid growing up. My parents never discussed it, mostly because it was the battle that my Uncle Pete, who was 18 months younger than my Dad, died in. All I knew was that it was long and cold and a lot of young men died - about 19,000 in three months. It makes Iraq and Afghanistan seem almost safe.....





The Battle of the Bulge began on December 16, 1944 as a last ditch effort by Adolf Hitler to split the American and British forces in the Ardennes Forest, hence the name The Bulge. Supplies were tight for the Americans , due to the speedy advance across France following D-Day, and the attack was furious, but they held it off, and slowly, the pushed the Germans across the Ardennes and onto victory.






I have no idea under what circumstances my Uncle Pete passed away, just barely 19 years old. All I know is he passed away on February 7th, 1945, he was a PFC in the 417th Regiment, 76th Division of Patton's Third Army, and he is buried at the Luxembourg American Cemetary in Luxembourg. A local family comes by to make sure his grave is clean and proper, and we send them some money in appreciation yearly...






A lot of families have that one empty chair that reminds most of us of the costs andsacrifices of war. My Uncle Pete is that empty chair - a memory of a person I never met, but my family was actually lucky. All six of my dad's brothers and him served in World War II, and the rest came home. I ran into a webpage from a man name Willard Bickel, who served in the Army during the Battle, and he is from Pottstown, PA , just a little down the road from my family. Take a minute or ten to read his experience - it has pictures and maps and all sorts of things to give you an idea of what it was like.. Here's the link. Thanks Uncle Pete, and thanks to all who serve....
.

5 comments:

west_rhino said...

Well said Mikey, though I hald expected you to quote Gen. McAuliffe... ;-P

Thoroughbred 401k said...

I rarely quote people, unless I know I got it right - they always correct me !

Anonymous said...

Mike-everyone reading your blog today,should remember the scarifices made by the greatest generation. Our nation was called upon in a time of desperation by a world on the verge of being overwhelmed by forces of tyranny and oppression to stand for what was and is right.

One has to wonder what would have happened had we not responded as we did in those dark days of World War II?

Mike, allow me to close with a quote from a hero of mine..."Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"..Winston Churchill. To our veterans of the battle of bulge,our veterans of World War II and veterans of all our armed forces,please accept of thank you and gratitude for all you did...Tom Grimes SC6 district chairman

David J. Damico said...

Mike,
Your uncle must have participated in the 76th Division crossing of the Sauer River from Echternach, Luxembourg into Germany. The 417th was the first regiment to cross the swollen river in a night crossing & suffered very heavy causualties on Feb 7 1945. You can get details on the 76th Division "Onaway" website.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Thanks so much, David.. Like I said, I never knew anything about Uncle Pete's service, and you've given me a lot of information here. We'd all like to think that our loved ones fought valiantly, and this is pretty clear evidence to confirm that.