Wednesday, February 06, 2008

SC6 Gourmet Report: Scrapple - Yummy!


It's brownish-gray, it's made from parts of a pig you'd never eat, and it is deelish ! You might remember a post a few months ago, when I complained that Ben's Mom came down from Pennsylvania with seven bags of potato chips, but no Scrapple. Then Ben went for three weeks and came back - no Scrapple... The third time was a charm.
Women always are way more thoughtful than Men are. They remember everything... Sometimes it has been to my detriment (numerous ex's come to mind), but today it was to my benefit. Bobby and his wife Jeannie came back from Punxsutawney yesterday, and they brought back three whole blocks of the brown, spicy goodness....
I was always told "Don't ask what it's made from', but thanks to FDA regulations, I can now read off the ingredient list: water, cornmeal, pork livers, pork jowls, pork hearts, buckwheat flour, potassium lactate, salt, sodium diacetate, flavoring... I'm not sure about the potassium lactate, but most of that list probably turns your stomach. Ben says Scrapple is best with syrup on it, but I like it just fried up with some eggs. Tomorrow, I'm going to go to McDonald's, and ask them to start making Scrapple McMuffins..
I'll fry some up for you later, so you can see it in all it's crispy glory. I can't wait !
.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, if you want Stewart Flood on your door step, keep bragging that you have a supply of imported scrapple, particularly the Pennsylvania Dutch variety...

Anonymous said...

sounds like good food

Thoroughbred 401k said...

I had some tonight. I should have cooked it a bit longer, so it would be crispier, but it was pretty good nonetheless.....


I think I could keep Stewart away from it if I said that Scrapple violates the Constitution !

Anonymous said...

you're welcome...and no, i still don't want any even though i'm from Amish country...well, one York county, it borders Lancaster county and I could see Lancaster county from my neighborhood when i was a kid...does that count?

Anonymous said...

I think I would hear Mr. Flood shout balderdash, poppycock or other words of dissent not allowed by the FCC, though permissible on Sirius...

Anonymous said...

The ONE thing you can blame our father (who eats ANYTHING, including gross stuff)for passing that on...is Scrapple! Bro, that stuff is Yu-cky! But I do have to admit I like Spam...lol.

Anonymous said...

So this is "ground hog" with fillers...