Monday, March 23, 2009

Florence Spends $7.5 Million On Tennis Courts? Someone Get Old Wooden Head On the Phone .

We're Starting to Notice a Trend Here....

It was announced this week that the City of Florence will be building a $7.5 million Tennis Complex in town. For those of you keeping score, that's on top of the Performing Arts Center, the New Florence Little Theatre and the Drs. Bruce & Lee Library, which was the only real improvement. It just seems that after that, they've been trying to find something else worthwhile to build. They're still trying, but not succeeding.

So, how do they decide what to build? I'm not sure, but I think I've got a feel for who is benefitting from this - and it won't surprise you. Rich people. Rich people play Tennis, go to the Theatre and the Opera. Sure, i've played Tennis a few times - I play like an Old Man. The Theatre and Opera? Forget it! But, I do know that Tennis seems to be the sport of choice of all the bigwigs and their wives. I've heard them speak amongst themselves. 'Bob is a 3.5 skill level' and stuff like that. No, I don't know what it means..

Why not find some ideas that would benefit some of the less affluent people in town. Maybe some community centers or something like that. I'm not an ideas guy, I'm the guy who picks the right stuff, and a Tennis Complex doesn't really sound like it to me...

Okay, there is ONE THING I like about Tennis...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e2xk1Je6gI&feature=related

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nothin like blowin a ton of money on something that isn't needed. they should have dumped it into the trail system or park improvements...or hey, here's a novel idea, clean up the downtown area.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

They're still trying to do that, but Ed isn't going to allow every minority business to move. He'd rather have it be all black and dead, than mixed and successful...

Anonymous said...

Let me guess, can we name it for Jimmy Clyburn like the Columbia golf centre?

Anonymous said...

Trust me we talked about it on one of the morning shows here in town and upset Biff and muffy for talking about how big of a waste of money it really is. If the City of Florence thinks they are going to attract "Big Named Tennis Players" I want some of whatever they are smoking