Sunday, January 25, 2009

Tom Colicchio: Top Chef....And Lifesaver ?


You probably know that I - and a few others of you - are fans of Bravo's 'Top Chef'. If you've watched it, you know who Tom Colicchio is. He's the Simon Cowell equivalent on the show. He's tough, uncompromsiing and constantly challenging the contestants to make more than poached eggs and chicken fingers. Some might say he's a bit of a prick, but you have to give him credit for what he did last week....
Colicchio was at a fundraiser in Washington, DC,beign criticized by a few attendees for whacking a contetsant on the last episode - what else is new? Suddenly, a patron screamed for help for a fellow chef at the event who has caught a piece of chicken in her windpipe. Colicchio immediately put on his Superman cape, ran over and performed the Heimlich manuever on her, saving her life. OK, the part about the Superman cape may be exaggerated....
I guess it shouldn't be surprising. Having restaurant employees properly trained in the Heimlich just makes sense. It's just a sensible skill to have on that job, like me being able to reset radio codes when you change the car battery.....
Congrats to Tom for being a bit of a hero. Not quit being on his shit, and let him go back to being a putz when they have to cut inept chefs... 'I stand by my dish.... My runny, smelly, tasteless dish.'
.

4 comments:

pluvlaw said...

I'm really having a hard time believing Carla is still there. I mean, I like her and all, but...

The only thing she has added to the show is "Ohhhhhh Myyyyyy Goooood!" I mean, she's supposed to be a big dessert lady and her desserts sucked.

I also agree with Fabio that the show is Top Chef, not Top Scallop. Whats with that chick and why hasn't a judge called her out on it yet (at least I don't think they have).

And I'll add that I feel perfectly secure in discussing a cooking show this much, provided I just professed my love to the beauty that is Rosario Dawson in my other comment.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

C'mon P-Luv, quit hiding it - you're a Fruitcake!! Kidding.. I watched it religiously last year, but I've kinda lost it on my TV radar this year. What days is it on?

Scallops are in '09 what shrimp was in the 90's - or something like that.

pluvlaw said...

I think Wednesdays at 10

Anonymous said...

every one should know how to do it