Monday, February 23, 2009

Done Before You've Even Started...



'Tis Better to Have Loved and Lost Than Never to Have Loved At All" is how the saying goes. How true. Or in the case of Brian Mandeville, 'Tis Better to Have Tried Out and Be Cut Than Never To Have Tried at All".

Mandeville was a Tight End for Northeastern University in Boston - not exactly a football haven. He finished his collegiate career this year, having a solid, if unspectacular career. However, he did do well enough to have been invited to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis - the most important test for any NFL rookie.

He spent all Spring training and working out, and came to the combine this week ready to show his stuff. But before he even hit the field, his career was over. Mandeville took a physical, and it exposed a faulty heart valve. While not life threatening, the doctors have told him that an NFL career is over. Now, he will nevr know how he would have done at the combine, where or if he would be drafted, or if he would have made the NFL. Big if's for any rookie...

We all have 'what if's' in our lives. I wonder how I would have done if I played football in high school - and how quickly I would have broken a leg. What if I went to another college and gone to accounting school. What if I had waited and asked Carol out in '95? Brian Mandeville now has his, but the big part is getting over them and moving on. That's all you can do.

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what if I had finished law school in atlanta what if I had not been married for 6 weeks what if I had never gone to costa rica

Thoroughbred 401k said...

What if you told me why you go to the Piggly Wiggly in Manning? Moye, I can't picture you in Atlanta as an attorney! The lake suits you..