Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Florence GOP Finally Gets Back In Gear

No, That's Not Me Under the Elephant....

Three months after getting our asses kicked in the November elections, the Florence GOP finally got together and began to prepare for life with Obama. It was a marathon meeting, about 2 1/2 hours long, with way too much people talking, and not enough preparation.

The first problem Monday was that while we couldn't get a guest speaker for years, we got two that night: Attorney General Henry McMaster and GOP Chairman candidate Kevin Hall. Both spoke, not for too long, and they answered questions, but it was at the wrong time. Why? Because this was the night we were here to discuss precinct reorganization. Getting that straight takes long enough, but by the time they and the county chair were done, most of us were getting a bit tired, and I'm including political professionals here. One of them even asked me if I thought about running for the Chairman job. No way....

First things first. For starters, in case you were wondering, both McMaster and Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer are running for Governor in 2010. It's a lock for both of them. I'm sure there will be others, but the two of them will be the most organized, and the front runners from the GOP.

The tow biggest things I got from the meeting are how scared everyone is of the economic stimulus bill being passed, and the realization of the locals that they got their asses kicked in November. We like to think that because John McCain beat Barack Obama here, and that Jim Clyburn never wins Florence County, that we are a Republican county. That's a bit delusional. The reason we win those races is because there is a swath of the City of Florence, particularly in West Florence, that is about 90% GOP. The rest of Florence County is probably 70% Democrat. We get killed everytime, and the laconic attitude that we had got us bad in November. Some of us got the message.

It's about time, but I really would like to see the leadership give up some of the reins a bit. I would like to see the dead wood get chopped off, and some new people take over. Not by the same old people that ran it 30 years ago, but some new meat. Someone like me - but more motivated.

Precinct reorganization is March 14th, County reorganization is April 11th, and the Big Show in Columbia is May 15th. I plan on being at all of them, and I hope I stay focused enough to not let anyone talk me into taking any job in the party. I like just writing from my bully pulpit...

.

7 comments:

pluvlaw said...

As screwed up as the Democratic party is in this state, and believe you me - it's screwed up, I can at least take solace in the fact that the local Republican party ain't no peach. A lot don't even know the numbers and those that do think the way to win is to hide their affiliation.

Case in point: the past Mayor's race. Let's face it, Frank Willis was the Republican candidate (and it is not in spirit of nonpartisanship that I say that). Frank was just as bad a Republican candidate as he was a Democratic candidate. The Republicans discouraged a very good candidate from running and they hoped their shitty undercover candidate would win.

Then when Frank lost, every Republican wanted to know "why didn't we run someone?" Same reason the Democratic party doesn't run people for most races..."we can't win."

That's bullshit. You can't win if you aren't in the race. And you wind up with shitty winners if you try to disquise people to win.

That is what the whole nonpartisan push is about. For some reason, the powers that be think that will help them win those seats back. It won't. If they looked at the numbers, they would see that. Run good candidates and they could win.

But I'm happy for you guys to keep spinning your wheels trying to change the rules.

GamecockGrad said...

Mike -
Best of luck with re-org in Florence.

Just wanted to stop by your blog and say hi and let your readers know that I have decided to run for 3rd Vice Chairman of the State Party, which oversees the youth auxiliaries.

I would be honored to have your support and that of Florence County and your readers.

-Adam Piper

Anonymous said...

Hey Adam is your bud Mike Campbell going to run. I understand his brother may. Anyway good luck on your campaign.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Yep, bets of luck, Adam.

P-Luv, for as long as your comment is, all I can say is I have no argument with you on this one...

Anonymous said...

Adam Piper being in state GOP leadership scares me.

Anonymous said...

Adam Piper being in the state scares me

Anonymous said...

earl is a tough dude