Sunday, February 22, 2009

Who Makes SC's Mount Rushmore ?

Yeah, It's In S. Dakota.... But If It Were Here..

I'm going to call my shot early on this one... I think I've hit gold today! Here I am, watching ESPN like I normally do in the late AM on Sunday, and there it is.. They've had a reccuring spot for President's Day, called 'Who Makes Sports Mt. Rushmore?' Or something like that. They've been going state-to-state, picking the 4 top athletes for each one. My one criticism of it is that the criteria is too vague. Wille Mays makes Mt. Rushmore for Alabama because he played in Birmingham in the Negro Leagues? Nah...

The thought came to me. Why not have a Mt. Rushmore, or maybe more appropriately, Mt. Croghan...or Mt. Pleasant. But, if we did have a Mt. Rushmore, which 4 South Carolinians would make it? We're going to leave it wide open here - polticians, musicians, actors, scientists, media stars - whatever. We only have one rule: the person has to have been born in the Palmetto State. Why? Becuase we all know, if you ain't born here, you ain't OF here. That of course, leaves me out of the running, as well as Pat Conroy - he was born in Atlanta.

Since I am not eligible, far be it from me to suggest who should be on here. How convenient.. Actually, i just don't feel like hearing the criticism of my choices. For you, it might be Strom Thurmond, John C. Calhoun, John Lynch and James Bonham? No, not the guy from Led Zeppelin. For others, you may go with James Brown, Darius Rucker, Edwin McCain and Jesse Jackson. Some might find room for - GULP!! Jim, uhhh.. Clyburn, but we're confident that you'll find 4 others.

Luckily, we found a pretty comprehensive list to choose from, and he's not on it. Thanks to the SC Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism for compiling this. Just click onto the link, pick four, and let us know which four you'd put on your SC Mount Rushmore !!!

http://www.scprt.com/facts-figures/helpwithhomework/famoussouthcarolinians.aspx

.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont need no friggin list we all know that Andrew Jackson, John C Calhoun, if Thomas Green Clemson was not born in Philly he certainly would be on the list. Also General Francis Marion the Swamp Fox and General Wade Hampton and close 5th is my name sake and kin folk General Thomas Sumter. I had a hard time not putting General Gist on the list. General Gist just died to young. He was a great States Rights believer.

Anonymous said...

I'm going with James Brown, Chubby Checker, Shoeless Joe Jackson and Vanna 'spin me a letter' White.

earlcapps said...

Andrew Jackson, John Calhoun, Strom Thurmond and Carroll Campbell.

Anonymous said...

Ditto Earl except replace Andrew Jackson with James F. Byrnes (since Jackson, although born in SC, was essentially a Tennessean). You can't have a political Mt. Rushmore w/o Jimmy Byrnes, "The Most Distinguished South Carolinian of the 20th Century"!

Anonymous said...

Uh Kevin, check the old lords proprietors maps of the colonies and I thinh you'll find that Tennessee was part of the western Carolina colony. Settling in Tennessee was, as I recall more of his wife's doing.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Bitches, Man! They make you do whatever they want...I would agree w/ Rhino, in that Jackson was Born in SC, regardless of Tennessee's status at the time. Besides, I dare NEVER disagree with Rhino anyway!

Anonymous said...

I like Andrew Jackson too, and am glad that he was born in SC, but it would be like putting George W. Bush on a Mt. Rushmore in Connecticut or Hillary Clinton on one in Illinois.

pluvlaw said...

Thurmond would have to be on there. Much to Reino's regret, so would Clyburn. Can't leave off the 2nd black whip and 1st Sandlapper.

I would think Riley instead of Campbell but would concede Atwater may take the last spot.