Thursday, April 09, 2009

Can You Smell What the Florence GOP Is Cooking This Weekend ???


Will the Pee Dee Republicans Lay the Smackdown On the Current Leadership?
We're about 24 hours or so away from the big showdown at South Florence High. The Florence County GOP Convention takes place, and it will be one of the more memorable ones. The big showdown between the current Florence GOP leaders, and the Pee Dee Republicans, who have managed to build a strong coalition of activists, elected officials, and the money people....
I've tried to be as objective as possible during this whole mess, and there are some aspects form both sides that I wish were done differently. I wished the PDR had done all of this at the meetings, rather than build a base covertly. Also, I don't like the idea of a PDR endorsed delegate list. It will cost a lot of hard working volunteers their delegate postions to people that have likely never been to a GOP meeting. I have questions like 'Who decided who got endorsed or not?' and 'Does this not look a little like what the Democrats do on Marion Street'. It seems to discourage Republicans thinking for themselves. If you don't know 46 of the people running to vote for, you might not deserve to be a delegate....
Not that some of the PDR's criticisms aren't warranted. I was Vice-Chair once myself, and I never got to do anything. The database is outdated. There was no website, and all the decisions for the local party were done without any other opinions. The money people and the volunteers don't seem to have any connection. A key to being an effective manager is not by working the hardest, but by coordinating all of the pieces of the local party to do the work needed.
Hey, I might sound a bit ticked at both sides, but I'm just saying that each side isn't perfect, but it has goen smoother than some. Compared to Berkeley County , this probable changing of the guard appears smooth. At least Jay Ragley hasn't had to show up to keep both sides from killing each other..
So, how will it go?? I dont think it will be close. The Pee Dee Republicans had probably twice as many people at the Precinct Reorganization, and more at the Makeup Session, although I wasn't there. They have the organization. They have the votes. They will sweep the elected positions, and they will likely take all of the delegates to the State Convention - and I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't one of them. I'll still be there, though. And i'll still support whoever wins. Hopefully, my criticisms won't be viewed with a 'You're either with us or against us' attitude. It would be pretty hypocritical for me to tell the PDR to be involved, then not be involved myself..
There will be good things coming out of this Saturday. My only hope is that we will all be together when it's over....
.

14 comments:

Wyboo MG said...

Let me tell you something. Change is in the air. Spartanburg, Clarendon and now Florence and soon Berkeley will have its chance. We only have two people on our EB that has served before. Four of Six officers have never served. The only office that did not change was Secretary/Treasurer. Three of our new officers has only been involved with the county party for a few weeks or months. We went by the book on all our dealings in the open. We are building a stronger party in Clarendon. I know Florence will survive and new leadership is not always bad. I know that it would had looked better to have done it inside the party but sometimes you are forced to take things into your own hands.

Anonymous said...

Would someone please tell me
what "inside the party means"?

Pamela Ratliffe said...

A mass invitation was sent out on the Pee Dee Republican Facebook site inviting anyone who wanted to become a delegate to the state convention to let us know....that invitation included you as you are a member of our Facebook page. No one who responded was denied. Everyone who asked to be a delegate was allowed to be. We have nothing to hide. We did not hand select anyone. I will be glad to answer any and all questions anyone has. 319-6928

Thoroughbred 401k said...

I figured that would ruffle some feathers. Yes, I got it, but I decided that I didn't want it to look like I'm playing both sides of the fence, so I stayed out. Besides, I have a seat at the convention, so I'm not too concerned about myself.

It doesn't look so bad now that you have over 46 people on the list, although it was already 33 before the rest of us got the e-mail. But I'm just opposed to people walking in with a Master List of who to vote for. I know there will be people who will not be there that have been involved in the party for decades, because they are not in PDR.


'Inside the party' is very vague, but it does involve a few core things. Voting. Attending meetings would be nice. Poll watching. Phone banking sometimes. Fundraising. There are lots of people who are inside the party in any or all of these ways..


Some of you are going to get defensive because I have one criticism or two, but no one does anything perfect. But, if you think about how things will look before you do them, some of those imperfections won't happen.

Anonymous said...

I talk to people all the time who think they are republicans because they vote for republicans or because they sent the RNC some money during a presidental election....but apparently this is not inside the County GOP party....how does one get inside of this county party?..By secret handshake?..How would you have chosen to move this county party forward, Mike....and just when were you planning to start?...The true is the absolute most American...democratic thing this group has done is meet in private...defind a goal, build a coalition of like minded people and make a plan to carry it out....it is, Thank God, the American way.

Anonymous said...

Come on Mike, we all know you aim to make people defensive....and you are really good at playing both sides....hey, you may have a future in politics yet. Betty

Thoroughbred 401k said...

HaHa, Betty - I LOVE IT ! Not defensive, maybe just a bit out of their comfort zone would be more correct.. Good politician or not, I am out of running for office !!


4:23, I would say that they are ALL Republicans. Some are more deserving to be delegates than others. I got 'inside' the county party simply by walking in one day in 2004, and saying "I'm Mike, and this is what I'm going to do.' I didn't really give anyone a choice. The PDR is doing the same to that extent, and a lot of positives will come from it. I don't think I've ever said otherwise...


What I hope PDR does is get these 400 members to be there every Second Monday, so that we have to have meetings at the darn Civic Center !


As for me, yep. i have been slack in my duties. How's that for honesty? Mostly because I was broke, partly because Tommy was sick, and I waited for him to get better. But, PDR has motivated me to do my job better as well. Good things will be in store for all of us, and I think everyone will be happy with the effort I'll make in the district in the future..


See ya'll tomorrow !!

pluvlaw said...

Mike...

Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for... sister. So, you have a twin sister.

Your feelings have now betrayed her, too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the Dark Side... then perhaps she will...

Thoroughbred 401k said...

P-Luv, is this some twisted recruiting tactic to turn me into a Democrat? Old Wooden head would be wise to not let me near him.... Bad JuJu , Mon !!

per tp said...

It is 1115 AM do we have a new leader yet

MG said...

We want details now.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Geez, I better get to work here then...

Anonymous said...

The Florence County GOP has NEW leadership!

Stephanie said...

Mike-

Little known fact about Stephanie Rawlinson...I know all about WWF/WWE wrestling. I loved the Rock, the peoples eyebrow, and anything he was "cooking". Also love Stone Cold Steve Austin, HHH, hardy boys,and etc. Have been known to pay for paid preview of Wrestle mania, etc. So you wanta go ahead and give me a "Hell yeah???"

Also heard that "the honorable councilman (soon to be Mayor) from Johnsonville" is also a wrestling fan...

Smack Down- Steph