Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Changing of the Guard...

Say Hello to the New Florence County GOP Leadership .....





Words sometimes are hard to come by to describe certain things. Like today's Florence GOP Convention: Onslaught. Juggernaut. Drubbing . Thrashing. Maybe when I used Smackdown earlier this week, I was more prescient than I knew. Yeah, I use words like prescient on ocassion.... But like a hot knife through butter - or more like a chainsaw through Jell-O - the Pee Dee Republicans obliterated the current GOP leadership, and swept the entire slate of open positions. Delegate results will be counted on Monday.







Using superior technological, marketing and organizational skills - along with a lot of hard work, PDR came with superior numbers and firepower. I won't give the vote total to avoid being disrespectful to Tommy and Shelby, but i had an idea that it would be a bad day for them when I was asked to second Tommy's nomination. It wasn't a problem, but it put me in a more public show of support than I intended. Observing and reporting kinda ended right there.







The numbers aside, it was probably the best day that I had experienced as a Florence County Republican. Everyone worked together to do the work necessary, amends were made between both sides, and class reigned throughout. Tommy and Shelby were gracious in defeat, and the Pee Dee Republicans made an honorary donation to the local Meals on Wheels in Shelby's name. Very nice....






I learned a lot about the process today as well. I got to register the delegates, and I was picked to serve on the Credentials Committee. I was in pretty esteemed company there: Mark Buyck III, Glynn Willis, Celia Urquhart, Dean Fowler, Julian Young, John McInnes and Ron McGill. Registration was a great way to associate faces with the names of all the new members as well... Here's a few pics...




Nothing says Politics like Krispy Kremes and Coffee !!












Joshua Gross: As usual, a pretty lady on his side, and in the middle of it all.....





Like all good Republicans do, after the work was done, it was time to party !! Courtesy of the Young Republicans...




Yummy BBQ - made from the carcasses of freshly killed Democrats !!!!!

















There will be plenty of good coming from the changing of leadership - better communication, more fundraising, and hopefully a total team atmosphere where everyone's talent and opinion - even from troublemakers like me - are taken into consideration. I don't know what the reason was, but just about all of the major statewide candidates came to Flotown today to meet and greet. Gubernatorial candidates Gresham Barrett, Henry McMaster and Andre Bauer attended, along with Lt. Gov. candidates Bill Connor and Ralph Norman, and soon to be SCGOP Chair Karen Floyd. SCGOP Third Vice Chair Adam Piper was the only lower tier state candidate to attend today....













For those of you who might have been expecting me to describe the hell and carnage of a WWF Battle Royal, I apologize. It just didn't happen. The Pee Dee Republican did their work, and the outcome was a foregone conclusion. Now, we all join together as Republicans, and prepare for the heavy load that will be there for us in 2010..... Congrats to Chairman Ken Ard, Vice-Chair Joe Griffin, 2nd Vice Chair Kevin Smith, Third Vice Chair Jamie Rogers and Executive Committeeperson Stephanie Rawlinson... Yeah, the clip is a bit cliche, but it's appropriate.....







http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi0s19M2mN4




.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's what I'm talking about...."Class"....Thanks mike...I knew you had it in ya....together we can and I'm looking forward to it!!!! I'll be following SC6..Betty

Thoroughbred 401k said...

hey, I'm all about Class, Betty.. One time on a date, I actually opened the car door for the girl! Of course, that was AFTER she asked me to do it...

earlcapps said...

As someone who has done a little politicking in Florence County, I can tell you something needed to change before the GOP can take the best advantage of the available voter support that is out there.

If they play their cards right, maybe you'll see more Republicans in the courthouse and maybe even a GOP majority on County Council?

MG said...

I want to wish them well. I have said for a long time that the GOP up north needed some change and it finally came to pass today. Maybe it is the line of work that I have had almost my entire career but I really can not feel sorry for the old guard at all. It will be nice if they can keep all these new people involved as that will be a challenge. They can achieve great things in Florence if the energy that is there today can be maintained. You also have to remember where you were at to get where you are going. Congratulations Florence GOP and the Pee Dee Republicans you rolled today. Just stay the course.

Anonymous said...

Class? One of them is wearing seersucker before Easter.

Anonymous said...

Hey, the "Class" remark was about Mikes Blog post concerning the Florence County Republican convention,not the PDR... they do not need me to tout their class... I think they proved Saturday they have what it takes......Mike did a great job covering the events at the convention.....I can however admit when I am wrong... the seersucker was a serious mistake for me...before or after Easter..Betty

Stephanie said...

I am just recovering and catching up on Mikes blog. Nice coverage of the convention- Mike. Look forward to you being a part of the communications committee and helping us all learn about political blogging. I would like to see us do a whole session on this for anyone who is interested. You are a valuable resource of information and skills with regards to blogs. I thought it was very honorable for Mrs. Shelby Phillips to close the nominations on the Executive Committee race. That is how a real republican lady does things. I am honored to follow in her foot steps in this position. Searsucker before Easter...ewwww....I don't know who dressed those two...certainly wasn't me!!! LOL! You can tell they aren't married! I love it!

Stephanie

PS- Betty- Honey...women can wear searsucker anytime! ;)

Thoroughbred 401k said...

It was the day before Easter, i think we can cut the offenders some slack here..

hemingway fan said...

not me i thought they quit making those things someone could get hurt