Friday, August 28, 2009

Picture of the Day: Strange Sights From a Confusing and Foreign Land..

No Cash? New York is So Dangerous, Even The Toll Booth Operators Are Afraid of Being Robbed ..

Greetings from Strong Island ... SC6 is spending the weekend in the playground of the New York City elite. No, we're not in the Hamptons BS'ing with Paris and Billy Joel. We're in Brentwood, Long Island - home of landscapers, welders, construction workers, and rappers like EPMD ....

We're sorry there were no posts yesterday, due to the 11 hour drive and 6 hours of band practice session as soon as I got here. Today, we're going to load up on bagels, pizza and White Castles - if we see Harold, Kumar and NPH there, you'll be the first to know... Onto today's pic..

The trip was great, although I learned that from now on, I'm taking the HOV lane whether I have two passengers or not. Once we got past DC, there was this strange phenomenon in the middle of the road - something called a toll booth. And I though that mustard on pretzels was weird.... Apparently, there are these people waiting in these booths that you must drive thorugh. And they don't let you go through unless you give them money.....

I don't know if these folks were armed or not, but it seemed like robbery to me. Perhaps they were just very crafty panhandlers. In South Carolina, the beggars sleep on the sidewalk and push shopping carts around. In the North, they set up shop like Lucy Van Pelt had her 5 cent Psychology booth .... I went to something called the Outerbridge Crossing, which lets you leave New Jersey and into Staten Island. By the way, New Jersey is like a big Roach Motel - they let you in for free, but if you want to leave, you have to pay......

In this case, it was $8 ...... I tried to be fair and negotiate with her.. I asked how much the bridge cost to make. She said about $300 million, so I offered to pay my fair share and give her a dollar, if she would let me go for free for the rest of my life. That's when she Tasered me, took $8 out of my wallet, and told me to leave...

All totalled, I paid $23.40 for tolls in a 175 mile stretch .... Gas for the whole trip was $50. I'll have a couple more examples of this strange life form that I am encountering tomorrow. Kirk Out.....

.

5 comments:

pluvlaw said...

While I love Eric and Paris and would never stand in the way of their making dollars, I can't believe you ain't giving the love to JD Dove, Posdnuos and Maseo.

De La is from Long Isle, mobile, make it worth your while.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Yes, De La is from the Island, as is Public Enemy, and I think Redman is too. But, Eric and Parrish are from "The 'Wood" as we call it. Parrish and I go all the way back to elementary school. I ran track with the guy... I don't know the Green Eyed Bandit all that well, but he is in my West Junior High yearbook....

mg said...

robbery for sure

earlcapps said...

Mike, don't you have a couple of inflatamates?

west_rhino said...

So you didn't turn right at DC and get cheap gas in Delaware...