Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Why It's Better to be Kinda Famous and Dead, Rather Than Famous and Dead ....




Good For Smiling Bob , Bad For Billy Mays ......
People always tell you to lay low, to not make too many waves. That not trying to stand out too much is good for you in the long run. That's why I have a blog.... Anyway, there is a little bit of truth to that advice. Because there are examples that show that there are situations where being too famous is bad for you - like being dead.
What the hell am I talking about? I have no idea... Seriously, I'm watching the boob tube today, and two commercials come on. The first is one of those commercials with Billy mays, who just passed away recently. Billy was pretty well-known, and when he died, everyone knew it. It makes his commercials seem a bit morbid, and some of his old products like OxyClean and I-Can insurance have already dropped him. such is th downside of dying. Too bad everyone, knew him, otherwise he'd still be raking it in....
By now, your disbelief must be telling me, "Mike, you're nuts. What unfamous person makes more after they die?" I have one example - Smiling Bob. In case you don't know who Smiling Bob, he's the guy on the Enzyte commercials... You know, the guy with the case of Erectionitis Permanentitis. Bobs' hitting LONG.... He's a Chubby Santa ..... That guy. what you may not know, and you would if you've read this blog for a while, it that Smiling Bob is dead. Long dead....
I can't remember if it was one or two years ago, and I'm too lazy to check, but Bob was reported missing while sailing of the coast of Martinique, and after two weeks, was pronounced legally dead when they couldn't find him. I know I got Les Paul wrong, but this one is confirmed. My first thought when they kept airing commercials was that it was pretty strange, but Enzyte knew what they were doing.....
You see, most poeple aren't as up to date on Smiling Bob as I am - they have a life.... So, instead of trying to start up a whole new, and possibly unsuccessful ad campaign, they said keep going with Bob. And you know what - it worked! No one has a clue. Look at the new commercials - the new ads are just rehashes of the old commercials. They could do this forever, and no one will know. Smiling Bob can go on forever, and stupid consumers like us will never know.... Amazing!
Mom and Dad were right.... lay low, flight right - and don't let anyone know you're dead.
.

No comments: