Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Murdering Old People - The Pee Dee's Favorite Game This Week.




It's days like today that make you wonder where the hell this world is going. Yesterday, I read in Sunday's paper that a 75-year old woman just around the corner from my apartment was beaten and strangled to death in her house. Friday afternoon. FRIDAY !! I had heard nothing, I wasn't contacted by my neighborhood watch leader (but he was available for TV 15). Worst of all, I didn't see a cop or have one knock on my door, asking if I saw anything. Then it got worse....

I got an e-mail today from a friend, telling me that the 85-year old father of M. Gault "Bunny" Beeson was stabbed to death last night while he was checking on his dogs in Marion County. They have a "person of interest" in the case. Bunny Beeson is the Founder and Chair of Wildlife Action - one of the leading hunter/environmental groups in the state. Bunny is more of a 'tell-it-like-it-is' kinda guy, but we both saw eye to eye on how to run a non-profit group. His father was Marion County Administrator for 25 years.


I used to tell my Dad that he was paranoid about people trying to hurt him, but maybe that paranoia is a little justified. If I were older, and I saw this going on, I'd be worried. If I lived in Maple Park, and i were older, I'd leave. I live in Maple Park, and I'm glad I'm leaving. This was a nice little affordable neighborhood - one of the few places that still had mature trees on it. Times have changed.


Maple Park is under attack from gangs, burglars and lunatics from the other side of Evans Street - three blocks away. They hop on a bike, come here, and do as they want. Who's gonna stop them - Aunt Betty or Papa Ralph? Maybe if he's packing. Wait, I forgot - guns kill people. Nevermind.....


Sheriff Kenney Boone will be at Monday's GOP meeting. His topic of discussion? Guns and Gangs. Very timely. I hope a lot of people will be there, media included. Maybe they'll worry less about their deadlines, and more about informing the public. Kenney will have a lot of tough questions - his own wife's car was broken into at Maple Park. My advice is that the city and county spend less on ballfields and roads, and get an assload of cops cracking down on these predatory losers. We owe our Seniors and all other citizens that much.

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be upset. We all hate to see crime against anyone but especially our older citizens who we will become if we live a few more years. I reckon it is nice that you got the High Sheriff coming to speak to you guys. Sounds like Bobby Gibbons trying to get a Democrat to a GOP meeting in Clarendon. Something I ain't going to do but then again I believe they are the enemy and I do not particular believe in reaching across the aisle very much except when I want something. Maybe you can convince him to switch parties. Just a thought. In any case have a good meeting and I will call you later from Atlanta and let you know how the crime is here this week.

Anonymous said...

Guns and gangs... unless there's a 5 minute or elss response time for Police or Deputies, the greatest fear for the gangs is an armed public that would rather be tried by 12 than carried by six.

It isn't the answer for everyone, but, forcing punks to be more concerned with the fact that it is riskier (potentially fatal) for them to "do business" in your neighborhood, your 'hood be safer, dog!