Monday, June 04, 2007

SC6 Don Luehrs Update.... Don Is Gone From TV 13, But Not Forgotten.







For those of you who don't know, longtime Channel 13 Weatherman Don Luehrs left the station and retired from broadcasting after 19 years there. H e will still be in the area, selling real estate, and I'm sure I'll see him at Newsome to work on his BMW.




The whole scenario has left me with a bad taste for TV 13 - at least for the management. Maybe it has a little to do with the way I was blindsided by them after the incident with my Dad. ( You had the time to call the Sheriff's Office, but not me?). Times have changed....




It used to be that there was a little loyalty between the community and the local station. Now we are the training ground for kids straight out of college who all want to be the next Anderson Cooper or Katie Couric. Nothing against Frank Johnson - the guy is in a no-win situation. He's taking over for a man who was popular and spent a lot of time in the community.




I think this may have been a cost-cutting move. My thoery? WBTW is using one person for two jobs... Yep, I contend that newscaster Martha Hunn is Frank Johnson with a wig! Don't believe me? I submit Exhibit A and B.....




Case Closed............


I got a comment posted on my blog this week about Don. Here it is....

I liked Don. A regular guy who made the weather interesting. He was sincere and was dedicated to his work. It's just another one of those corporate bad decisions. Too bad. I'll miss him.
Bob
Just wondering.......... was this Bob Juback?
Au Revoir, Don !!
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me try this again. I hate to hurt the feelings of any person but this dude should had retired long ago. If he sells real estate like he did TV you will being seeing that BMW a lot for sure because he will not have it for long.

Anonymous said...

Let me see, how's media genital's retirement system work? Gotta be there twenty years to retire? Reminds me of how Warren Peper got hosed by Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln after a similar on air history as a sportscaster. The axiom, best observed by some on air "talent" is that at 50 they can hire two 25 year olds to do your job for less than you're going to cost them in the long run,

Real estate may provide him a better paycheck, but he can't rest on his laurels.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Rhino, you are a very wise man...

Anonymous said...

Warren Peper as you mention WR is still a legend a living working legend. I for one thought it was reckless for them to get rid of the man. At least he surfaced somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

New NBC affiliate WMBF is now hiring a news department and there are openings for a meteorologist... maybe we'll see him there.