Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Note to Rick Beltram: 'Trophy Wife' Is Not a Compliment...


OK Rick......... The One on the RIGHT is a Trophy.
Spartanburg County GOP Chair and possible narcissist Rick Beltram has found himself in a Olympic-sized pool of hot water this week. This after referring to Presidential Candidate Fred Thompson's wife Jeri as a "Trophy Wife" a a county meeting. Eeessshh !!
Let's look at this from all sides. Mine first. I have never met Rick - I rarely get Upstate. The only time I've ever seen him is the time he got on Hannity and Colmes, and they had to cut him off to allow others to talk. However, I do know Mike Green, and if a County Chair insults the wife of a candidate, then you report it. I'm sure I have a friend in the neighborhood who could add more about this....
Now, I do have a little experience in dealing with the 'what is she doing with him' question. Honestly, if someone called my wife a Trophy Wife, it would not bother me - but I'm not Fred Thompson. The more important point is from Jeri Thompson's view. She is not running for anything - her husband is. Labeling as a TW negates anything that the woman has ever done - and it appears she's done a lot. You basically objectify the woman based solely on her looks, and drag the debate down it's lowest denomination. All of the candidate's wives appear to be attractive and intelligent, so let's stick to the issues and the candidates. See, I am not a Cro-Magnon Ape stuck in a cave! :)
No, I am not the best person to give lectures on restraint when writing or giving a speech, but at least I usually say too much about myself, or I can back up why I said something. Rick, i don't see that here. You went over the line by insulting a candidate and his wife, and if I were Fred Thompson, I'd pass on the Fundraiser, and tell them exactly why. Good luck tyring to run for GOP Chair - and I'm not even talking about Statewide.
.


5 comments:

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Note to all. I had to edit part of the post. I tried to be funny by referring to something from a few months back, and I ended up offending someone that means a lot to me.

I can't apologize enough. I am so sorry. Mike.

Anonymous said...

hey...she is a trophy wife! if you're gonna do something and throw it out there for people to see, prepare to handle the face the consequence of your actions. she's almost 30 years younger than him which is not considered normal in our society...gonna have to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

Well... maybe Lorrie Morgan was the trophy that got away.

At least Fred isn't gigilo John Heinz Kerry, chasing widow's bankrolls or debs inheritences. Ricks friends OTOH seem to be trying to distance Gamecock and Florida Gator fans from Howard Baker's minority counsel in the Watergate hearings... Hilary only zealously slaved as a clerk during those hearings and witnessing the actions of an honorable man didn't direct the sniveling rake from Arkansas she married to follow suit and resign (bad for her chances to be elected).

Watergate in mind, the truth is out there and covering up Maureen Dean's history was more important to John Dean III than the security of the country, q.v. Gedney and Colodny's book and the chapter "The Golden Boy".

Yes it is a digression, but the press is making more of this than I've seen the campaigns really concerned about. What's next, Rick offers us a Ron Paul/Ru Paul separated at birth comparison?

Anonymous said...

Good for Thompson is what I say. By the way did Earl put you up to bashing Rick Beltram or not.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Nope. Some things just come out of Rick's mouth that we all need to slam him on every once in a while.