Thursday, September 20, 2007

When I Was in College.... Fat Kids Leading to Bigger Dorm Beds.


Look Familiar?? If You Lived on Campus, It Should...
It seems that the porking up of our kids are having secondary effects as they get older. American University in DC (of course) has decided that they will be replacing the standard single bed with double beds next year. There are a few reasons, but it appears the main reason is that the beds are getting to small for our growing (or fat) kids.
For those of you who ever slept on a dorm bed for 4 years, you're probably soundign like your grandp right now - "when I was in college, we slept on a pile of chicken feathers on the floor - and we liked it !!" I pulled that gig for 3 years myself, and it was no picnic, but that's part of being in school.
I guess it is a selling point to prospective students - colleges are trying to attract kids any way they can now. And I suppose they need to cater to the needs of a bulging freshmen class, because the kids are getting fatter, and there doesn't appear to be any change in sight. But some say there are other reasons for the change..... Any idea?
Ever shack up in a college bed? No small feat by any standards. I remember getting a better night's sleep by napping on the floor, rather than trying to fit two people on that maxipad-sized mattress. However, necessity is the mother of invention, and isn't that what college is about? On wonders if, by pandering too much to the kids needs, that we are dampening their creativity... The beds too small? Try a chair, tabletop, the window sill - maybe the dormway stairwell. OK, maybe not the stairwell.
I guess what I'm saying is that we don't need to cater to our kids every whim and grievance. That or I'm jealous and I college sometimes ! Personally, I would have settled for more washers and dryers than a bigger bed. Just thought it would be a fun first post to return with.
.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always took the single bed as an option for an added degree of difficulty in my shameless youth.

As to the stairwell, well the stairmaster hadn't been invented, so that title wasn't available though step-ladders did... aw never mind Mikey

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Degree of difficulty?? You make it sound like gynmastics! You did age yourself with the stairmaster reference.

As far as the step ladder - I can't even fathom it.

Anonymous said...

Creativity Mikey, like the ceiling fan or the drivers seat of VW Beetle... gotta have the sunroof though.

As often as I've put my foot in my mouth... the flexibility does figure into consumation in confined spaces.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Must be all those yoga classes, eh Rhino? How is it everyone else is flying all the planet, and i'm stuck in my house 24/7 ??

Anonymous said...

Vision and motivation... Mike, when you know why, how will work itself out

Anonymous said...

Jealous

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Guilty as charged.