Saturday, May 02, 2009

Time Again for the Most Exciting Two Minutes In Sports - Derby Day !


What a Bunch Of Horses' Asses !!
Ahh... The first Saturday in May - also known as Kentucky Derby Day ! Since my Dad was a jockey, I almost always catch the race on TV. I am doing the whole Kentucky themed thing today. No, I'm not drinking a mint julep and wearing a gaudy hat, but I did eat some Kentucky Grilled Chicken. Uhh, I'll stick with the fried chicken from now on...Kinda dry and flavorless.
Now, I am no expert on horse racing - maybe better informed than most, but no expert by any means. I didn't know a single thing about this year's crop of 20 (now 19) Derby hopefuls until today. It's a tough race to pick: too many horses, a pretty long race, too many variables, and it's a bit sloppy out there. After all, I knew nothing about basketball, and look how well I did there.
Here's my theory: front runners never win, and it's too messy for a late runner to close the gap. They need to be used to the distance, and they need to show they can win against good competition. I'm going with Pioneer of the Nile, with Papa Clem and Chocolate Candy taking Place and Show. See I know SOMETHING about horse racing !
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike--stick with politcal forecasting, when a 50-1 longsthot comes from the back of the pack to win by that much all anyone can say is WOW. Besides that would you have liked to seen the odds on that trufecta?...teg

Anonymous said...

Mike--stick with politcal forecasting, when a 50-1 longsthot comes from the back of the pack to win by that much all anyone can say is WOW. Besides that would you have liked to seen the odds on that trufecta?...teg

graham slough mg said...

If we only had known

pluvlaw said...

Adam Corrolla had Dave Damesheck on his podcast and they were discussing their theory that the best horse names are also great names for your johnson. I can't remember which they went with, but I know one they spent a long time on Pioneer of the Nile. As Ace said, its like the name your roomie would have given you in college if your brought home a lot of "exotic" women.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

That's true.. Since Big Brown doesn't apply well, I refer to mine as Smarty Jones....