Monday, January 25, 2010

'I'm the President' And Other Bulls**t Excuses For Skipping Jury Duty .....


In the news this week, word from Chicago that President Obama was called for Jury Duty this week.... Reportedly, he has other obligations out of town, and will get a pass. How does ths happen? My guess is that soem joker at the Clerk of Courts office noticed his name, and pulled it, just to see if he'd come .....Of course, he SHOULD have to go. Hey, I had to work too, but I went. Of course, I went twice, and both times, I was the second one excused. P-Luv may disagree with me on this (surprise!), but here are my three tips for getting out of jury duty......
1. Wear a Suit
2. Have a Brain
3. Have an Opinion
Yeah, it's actually that easy.... the suit give you the false air of intelligence. Don't wear the eyeglasses, because those are a dead giveaway that you're overdoing it. As for number 2 and 3, they kinda go hand in hand... Lawyers don't want smart people, or even dumb people with an opinion. They want mushy, malleable people whose votes they can sway - all Independent voters eventually end up in Jury Duty!
.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike-I have been called for more jury pools than I have hair or have lost (no bald jokes please). Now I won't give away my secret but since I was 18 I have not been pulled for jury duty. My secret is...its all in the way you answer their questions...teg

west_rhino said...

"all in the way you answer their questions"

Make the defense disqualify you or use a pereptory pick to keep you from being seated. My bride was apprised, after disqualifying her self from a drug case, that the prosecution would have appreciated her not giving the defense counsel a freebie. Culprits selling drugs within x radius of an elementary school was the charge in question, she was reviewing how to tie a noose and if jury nullification might allow a sharia option for beheading the miscreants. She is one for swordplay.

pluvlaw said...

Unless I know you and have cause to think you'd be bad, I seat you. Anyone who tells you they know how to predict a jury is lying. If they knew that, they'd be sipping pina coladas on a yacht in Aruba. If I can't convince you of my case, that's my problem.

Anonymous said...

West Rhino--when you do what I do in politics,foreclosures and debtor actions most lawyers (and a few judges) usually strike me as soon as they see my name...teg

earlcapps said...

My father was an US Army MP for seven years and cop for 28. There's no way in hell I'd get seated on a jury for a criminal case, but since I don't get along with the Clerk in the county in which I live, I'd probably get picked for a civil trial that would drag on for years.

Bobby said...

tonight shows again the immaturity of the republican party and how out of touch it is with America. you may not agree with all Obama says, but what he says about working for the American people is right...and yet, the republicans sit on their hands in disagreement.

Anonymous said...

and, Bobby, what he says, alas hasn't matched what he's done...