Sunday, January 17, 2010

No, It's Not Fair, But If SC Had It, I Might Have Won in 2004 ....


Where Is Sorrell Booke When You Need Him ?
For those of you who wonder why I haven't gotten involved in politics since I moved up here, there are two reasons: First off, I've been too busy. Secondly, and most importantly, I wouldn't stand a chance to get anywhere in the party. Why? Because the GOP in Long Island is a big racket. In South Carolina, I walked into the room, and became a congressional candidate. Then I walked into another room, and became County Vice-Chair. Later, I walked into a District Convention to cover it for the blog, and walked out the Vice-Chair of that too. That doesn't go on here.....
Nope, up here, the committee chair positions are held with much, much more responsibility. How much more? Forget about useless censures, how about they literally CHOOSE THE CANDIDATES for Congress..... You heard right, and I had no idea. The day of the Political Pit Boss still exists in New York. New York' 1st District is much like South Carolina's 5th District - it has a small Republican majority, but the Congressman is a Democrat. basically substitute John Spratt with Tim Bishop, although Bishop looks more like a college professor than Droopy Dog.
With the tide swinging back towards the GOP, Republicans have a slew of candidates to choose from - many of them carpetbaggers who just moved into the East End of Long Island with a lot of cash. Currently, there are seven Republicans running. So, to avoid having an expensive primary - and runoff - the GOP chooses a candidate. Word is that the County Chairman is leaning towards Richard Nixon's 29 year old grandson who doesn't live here, but his family does own a Summer manse in the Hamptons. We'll avoid comment, and let our silence speak for it.........
Does it sound fair? Hell no. It completely takes the power way from the voters. Is it sound it terms of finances? Yeah. No one has more than $500,000 in the bank right now, and that will all be gone once they pay for those expensive TV and radio ads in the US's 11th largest market. Personally speaking, I would have made out like a bandit in 2004 and 2006 if this were in place. No one in the party liked Gary McLeod on the ticket - the 127-0 thrashing I gave him in Sumter's straw poll is fresh in my mind - but the fair way is to put the power in the voters hands, and not vote for the guy with too many vowels in is name. That's the American Way.
Now before I go blessing SC's way of doing things, don't think that I don't know that the State Party does push certain candidates ahead of others. We've already discussed that here recently. Still it is more fair than the obvious patronage going on up here......
.

1 comment:

mg said...

Do the right thing for Mike.