Friday, January 08, 2010

It's SC6's 4th Annual NFL Playoff Picks ....

Carson Palmer and the Bengals Check Out Early ..... Again.

I'll be the first to admit it - I don't do such a great job in picking football games. I run hot and cold, but this year, we've had plenty of time to watch the teams, and we think it'll be a little easier this year - at least in one conference.

In the AFC, there are only 2 good teams and neither is palying this week. Indianapolis has looked super all year, and all San Diego does is win, which comes in handy come playoff time. All the teams this are playing for is the right to get their butts kicked by Indy and San Diego next week.. The NFC will be tougher. The Saints have looked more Aints lately, and Minnesota forgot how to win until they pounded an overrated Giant team (yes, my G-Men sucked this year). I think this will be a 2007 type , low seed winner again. Anyway, onto this week's picks....

Jets at Bengals

Well, I gave this one away already. In the three rematches of last week's thumpings, this looks the easiest to pick. We like the Jets, not because Mark Sanchez is a better QB than Carson Palmer, but because he's got a better team. Yeah, Rex Ryan was talking out his a-hole when he said the Jets should be favorites to win it all (Rex, the Colts GAVE you that win), but they do have the better running game and defense - and that wins in January. Sanchez plays small ball, and the Jets prove the 37-0 game was no fluke. Jets 20-10

Ravens at Patriots

With the weather expected to suck, we could be in for a low scoring game. One team can't score, but th other can't stop anyone. What do you do when that happens? Bet on the team that can run. Ray Rice and Wills McGahee make a pretty good tandem, and Wes Welker's injury has left Tom Brady with no one to pass to, except Gisele Bunchen, and Julian Edelman. Randy Moss will see the ball, but he's not the 10 reception guy Brady depends on. Joe Flacco again shows all he does is win. Ravens 23-17

Packers at Cardinals

Aaron Rodgers kicks butt. I know, I had him in fantasy football this year. Having the road game is probably better for the Green Bay offense than playing at cold Lambeau Field. The Packers have a real good chance to go all the way this year. They have the defense and even the running game has improved just in time for the playoffs. As for the Cards, Anquan Boldin is very iffy, Kurt Warner is getting older- oh yeah - the Pack slammed them 33-0 on the same field just last week. New Week, same result - not even close. Packers 34-17

Eagles at Cowboys

Both teams will lose. At least if I had my wish, they would. Up until last week, I had the Eagles pegged for the Super Bowl. Donovan McNabb has all the weapons this year, but they are playing in Dallas again, fresh off of a 24-0 smackdown. Tony Romo seems to have forgotten that it's December and January this year, but we have a couple tidbits that we're betting on: first, the Boys have beaten the Eagles twice, and beating the Birds three times is tough. Secondly, the Eagles are usually decent in the playoffs, and the Cowboys..... what is it? 1994? Should be a good game though. Eagles 30-27.

Yes, I picked 4 road teams. No, I have no idea why..............

.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike--the Super Bowl will be Minnesota vs Indy...teg

Bobby said...

Bengals 23-17.

Ravens 19-14.

Packers 31-10.

Eagles 27-23.

mg said...

Jets, Pats, Packers, Cowboys

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Tommy, I'm thinking it may be the Chargers year, and I really like Green Bay. Not exactly a marquee matchup, but...

I did find out one stat that may have changed my mind - New England is 8-0 at home. But, I made my pick, and I'll stick with it.

Anonymous said...

Peyton was throwing footballs when Phil Rivers was a silly smile on his mother's face and Brett want to prove he belongs in a league with Roger,Terry,John and Joe.

For the record the Bengal,Cards, Cowboys and Pats will win this weekend...teg

Bobby said...

0-1 so far for me.

Bobby said...

0-2 now.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Yeah, not sure what I was thinking with the Eagles pick. For those of you keeping track, here is the scorecard so far.

Moye 2-0
Mike 1-1
Tom 1-1
P-Luv 1-1
Bobby 0-2

as usual, P-Luv and I agree on half of everything, and Tom and I disagree on everything !! Earl apparently does not watch football, which I find weird, considering how much drinking beer is such a major part of it.

Bobby said...

1-3...glad I didn't make any wagers!

Anonymous said...

Cards by a missed facemask...

Anonymous said...

Mike--for the record we split and went 2-2...the Ravens beating the Pats in Foxboro was a surprise. When a team hasn't lost at home since 1978 you have to figure it was time. As far at the paper planes (ie the Jets)go reality will land on them next weekend...teg