Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Captain Lou Goes Down for the Big Three Count


Another one of those icons from my youth has gone today. Captain Lou Albano, former wrestler and manager extraordinaire, passed away today at the age of 76. In the WWE, Albano was a giant... No, he wasn't the best wrestler, but he was interesting and fun. Labeled as a bad guy in the early 70's, he was a fan favorite by the time I got into that wrestling age in the early 80's. That's when he hooked up with Cyndi Lauper, and he went Big Time.....
No, it didn't help Albano to be on MTV as far as his wrestling cred went, but who cared? Albano was cool because he was a regular guy. Maybe he didn't look like a guy from your neighborhood, but he looked like he came from my neighborhood.... His Super Dago routine, with the rubber bands holding his beard down were great, and he will be missed by guys my age... And for those of you from Down South, here's a tidbit you probably didn't know - Captain Lou was a Volunteer. Yep, he briefly played football at UT, before joining the Army. Off to the Big Squared Circle in the Sky, Big Fella !! Here's an old time WWE clip for you - Lou Albano, 'Mean' Gene Okerlund, and Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine ....
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike--speaking of wrestlers has anyone ever told you that you look like former ECW champ Tom Dreamer?...

Thoroughbred 401k said...

I had never heard of Tommy Dreamer before, so I looked his picture up. There is a definite similarity, although he is in way better shape than me.

The most correct assessment of my looks is still the guy who said I resembled Worf....

west_rhino said...

Worf after the turtle was removed...

So long Captain Lou, the Cindy Lauper entourage will miss ya no doubt.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

I do have the temperament of a Klingon though.....