Friday, October 02, 2009

Pic of the Day: Roy Rogers - Where Love Blooms

More of Getting to Know Your Blogger .....
Well, finally got out of the house for a little while today. I got some good historically signficant pictures for you, but we'll wait til Monday, when you guys usually come back. Anyway, we travelled down the LIE to Shirley, New York. Just a short drive down the William Floyd Parkway, over Sunrise Hwy, you run into what is probably the only freestanding Roy Rogers restaurant left in America. The only other ones you'll see are in Maryland and New Jersey on I-95 rest stops...
Why is this such a big deal? Certainly not for the food. It's basically the same stuff as a Hardee's. The reason is that this was the last place I worked before I moved to SC on December 31, 1996 in a blinding snowstorm with a 5x8 trailer hooked on the back of my 200SX... Yes, I was once a fast food manager, until dealing with 16 year olds just got to be too much.
It's also where I met my wife, Nicole, who we know refer to as Ex Mrs. Reino Number 1. Fortunately, there hasn't been a Number 2 yet.... It still has the same crappy color scheme, and even the overhang hasn't been redone in 13 years. Yes, it is truly the same hellhole as when I left it.
The ironic part is that when Roy's got bought out, they promised us a $1500 bonus for staying there until December 31st. But, they said since my store was still open, I needed to stay to get that bonus. Of course, the laughable part is that I could theoretically still be there today - waiting for that $1500 bonus. I don't even want to think about that.......
.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think you would still be waiting on that bonus? Well just think of all the blogging SC would have missed out on. Betty

Anonymous said...

So Mike you married a sixteen year old that worked the drive thru

Thoroughbred 401k said...

Yeah - I had to have her parents sign a permission slip before we got married... No, she was 21 when we met, and she didn't work the drive thru.

Anonymous said...

We won't ask what kind of work she did.

mg said...

Wonder what this person is thinking

Thoroughbred 401k said...

I think they're calling my ex trailer trash, but that's fine. Not everyone has money for college and a car, so they have to work at a place close enough to get a ride.

She's been a co-ordinator at McLeod for 12 years now, so she's doing fine now, thank you very much..

Anonymous said...

Mike-wish you had won when you ran for Congress, after managingdealing with 16 year olds, congress would have been a breeze...teg

Thoroughbred 401k said...

It IS good training , Tommy.