Thursday, October 08, 2009

Smart Car: The Oxymoron of the Auto Industry

WARNING: Objects in Photo Are Smaller Than They Appear ....

I usually am pretty up on the latest in the car business, but of course, if you never see something, it's hard to know about it. Then again, I know all about that Woodpecker in Sparkleberry Swamp, and I'm quite sure that thing doesn't even exist. Unfortunately, people are always willing to drive a death trap....

No, I never saw a Smart Car until I was driving on the New Jersey Turnpike - and one of these little suckers drove past me at about 80 MPH...... If you've never seen one, trust me - it's even smaller than it looks on camera. The thing is made in God knows where, but it claims to have a 5-Star safety rating, and since it only has 2 seats, it has no problem getting 41 MPG, or 3 MPG less than a imminently safer Honda Civic Hybrid. How it gets a 5 star is beyond me - the car already looks it's been crashed in the front and rear....

Seriously, this thing makes a Mini Cooper or Trabant look like a sturdy, solid machine. Yet, these little suckers are all over the place on Long Island. Why? Simple - everyone on Long Island wants to die, and this is obviously the fastest route to Eternity. I'm not kidding - I've never passed one of these shitboxes... I guess people like the cute colors, and they think it's a great conversation piece. Here's the conversation..... "Fred, how could you be so stupid as to buy such a damned piece of junk." Uhhh, end of conversation. Smart Car owners are the same 40 year olds that dress like Hannah Montana becuase they want to be cool.

There is one good part about the Smart Car ........ it's cheap enough that you can still afford the Life Insurance policy.

.

6 comments:

west_rhino said...

One for each foot? This skateboard makes a Yugo look huge and commodious enough for an orgy, without having to be a crew of Romanian contortionists...

Thoroughbred 401k said...

I think we had this discussion once before, Rhino. I couldn't work it out in a 74 Camaro. There is NO WAY I'd get anywhere in this crackerbox...

pluvlaw said...

You aint tall midget, you just cleva! --James Carville.

mg said...

I aint getting in it.

Anonymous said...

Mike-the Smart Car is just another example of German birth control efforts!...

Thoroughbred 401k said...

;)