Tuesday, October 27, 2009

SC6 - Picture of the Day




No, It's Not a Jack in the Box .......





I lied. Actually, we're going to do pictures of the day today. Why? Because they're mostly landscape pictures. This is the famous Par 3 course at Robert Moses. Just go to Field 2, drive to the far right corner of the parking lot - walk about 100 yards down the path, pay the $4 toll to the Cigar Store Indian greeting you at the gate, answer ye the questions three, and on the other side ye shall be !






What special distinction does the Golf Course have? It was the only part of Robert Moses that I never worked at! They knew better. I was here on my days off all the time. It was also the pace that I became a legend......Let's go back in time.









Summer, 1990. The 100 yard Number 1 at RM. I stop by on break, watching the old people suck, and I tell Debi Decatur that I could spank these guys. She calls me on the challenge. Since there were no waiters, I calmly grabbed the 9-iron with 'RM' stamped in whiteout, and walk to the tee. My drive was straight and true, hitting the green at about 90 yards, where it smoothly rolled right into the cup. Hole in one on a dare, baby!! I handed her back the club - her mouth agape - and jumped back into the truck. Then I sped off, yelling 'Holy Shit!!' for about 15 minutes......







For a Par-3, it actually is a fabulous course. It's just like the British Open courses, with the tall grass and beach sand just off the fairways, and you can hear the ocean churning the entire time. This is the 18th Green, but the best hole is Number 13, 1 130 yard Par-4 with a dogleg right. All the manly men like to try and drop the tee shot over the trees and directly onto the green. But, every year, the trees get taller, and the shot gets tougher.




.

No comments: