Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Sanford and Clyburn Will Not Endorse ?? I Don't Believe It.




I was reading an article on SC Hotline today that said both Governor Mark Sanford and Congressman Jim Clyburn will not endorse a presidential candidate in next month's primaries. I suppose there is a possibility that both will sit it out, but I have my doubts, especially in Clyburn's case.
Why would they bypass the opportunity to exert some influence on the election? Well, I think they have different reasons. I think Sanford is honestly torn a bit. He supported McCain in 2000, but I've felt a bit of support for Rudy Giuliani this year. The conspiracy side of me thinks that he is a possible VP candidate, and he is playing the field by playing it safe. Supporting one would tick the other off, and if his pick loses the nomination, he's done.
Clyburn's motivation is similar to reason #2 listed for Sanford. He says that by endorsing a candidate, he would be jeopardizing South Carolina's early primary status. RIGHT... That's the biggest pile of crap I've heard in the primary so far. One guy is gonna bow th whole primary by endorsing a candidate? He must really think he's important. Four years ago already proved that Clyburn has little pull with voters after his Dick Gephardt/John Kerry fiasco. Here's the real reason......
Big Jim has a game plan. Like I've said before, he wants to make it look like he is handing South Carolina on a silver platter to either Clinton or Obama, so he can hit them up to be Secretary of Transportation if they win in November. It looked like a sure thing for Clinton in the Summer and Fall, when Clyburn gushed how 'I respect no one more than Hillary'. Boy , he sure has cooled off since Obama made his run.
My gut tells me that he is for Obama, but when the races are so close, he can't afford to pick one and be wrong. If Obama wins Iowa, and he gets a clear 5 point lead in South Carolina, my guess is Jim will come out at the last minute and endorse Obama - he can't stay out, he thinks he's too important. He has some definite plans, and if he goes the Switzerland route, both Obama and Clinton will remember it, and both will tell him to stick it. Terry Alexander and Robert Ford would have a better shot at a Cabinet gig if he sits out.....
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never mind Mark's endorsement, who is Jenny endorsing and are we ready for Jenny's bid for Governor?

Anonymous said...

first our governor is a candidate for vp and a good one at that. second clyburn will back obama in the end. and jenny will not try to fill the seat that mark will leave in columbia. you heard it from the used to shores of lake marion. now pray for rain in the upstate i need to put my boat in the water.