Wednesday, December 26, 2007

SC6's 2007: The Year in Review....


It's the end of the year, so it's time to review and reflect. To see where we were, where we are now, and what we could do differently. There is plenty I would have changed this year.....





Going into 2007, things were pretty good. I had the best Christmas in a long time, I ha move on after the disaster with Mary, and work was going great. My resolutions were as follows: lose weight, get a passport and use it, find a woman who isn't nuts, join a band again, and write 500 posts. Aside from joining a band and writing only 400 posts, i came darn close!





We'ev gone through all of the 2007 posts, and here is a month-to-month recap what happened in politics, life, and me....


January:
The Democrats take over Washington..... All the candidates announce they are running for President. I predict Bill Richardson makes too much sense to win (correct), Obama will be Hillary's biggest threat(correct), and Mike Huckabee has little chance (wrong)....... Don Luehrs leaves Channel 13 to sell Real Estate (?).......... RED loses it's appeal with Wal-Mart.....I have extra money, so I spend $24k on a car I don't really need......I plant the seed that I will be takign a big trip this year.


February:
I introduce Chester the Mouse, a mole inside Nancy Pelosi's office who spills all the Dems secrets - no one cares......Britney Spears shaves her head........I lose my mascot/buddy Snoop Dog suddenly.........A tornado in Florida misses my sister's house by 5 blocks.........Moe's comes to Florence - homewreckers abound !!




March:
Congress does nothing measurable.....Al Gore gets so fat, that we estimate he will weigh 800 lbs by 2030 at the current rate of inflation.......Oswego State's Hockey team wins the Division III National Championship.........The Bo Bo Spa in Marion gets shut down - no more special finish........Passports slow down to a trickle......John Edwards tries to get votes by announcing his wife's recurrance of cancer.....I challenge Jim Clyburn to a round of golf, despite my 30 handicap - he declines by not answering.... I sell my old Camry for way too little.




April:
I get elected Vice-Chair of the County GOP - and I haven't done anything since....... Imus opens his big mouth and loses his job........The first presidential debates take place.......Bobby gets married, and I was Best Man......... the Virginia Tech massacre takes place in Blacksburg....Lindsey Graham's office gets my passport in my hands within 48 hours - all criticisms of his performance end..........I announce my trip to the Ukraine - everyone else wonders why there...



May:

SC6 goes International. Americans learn about Eastern Europe's fear of ice, the lack of limes, and what the hell kvas is .......I miss the State Convention, not a big loss according to Earl.....Bobby leaves a dog upon my arrival back in the US - Rocket is his name.......Hundreds get sick at Clyburn's Big Fish Fry from all the political BS, causing a scene reminiscent of Jonestown....... my cousin Chris goes to Iraq in the Big Push - Al Qaeda skips town.



June:
Sanford and the Legislature go to war over Budget Vetoes again.......Clyburn calls Clarence Thomas an Uncle Tom.......SC6 gets Paris Hilton as a Political Correspondent..........Nine Charleston Firefighters die in a furniture warehouse blaze......Fred Thompson gets hot, then takes too long to decide he wants to run......I join Rudy Giuliani's team, then Thomas Ravenel gets arrested almost immediately after I join.....I go South Beach on a BMW trip to Miami for three days.......The Sopranos ends, and all Italian actors go unemployed.....two elderly people in the Pee Dee are murdered in a week. I decide it's time to leave Maple Park.




July:
It gets hot - REAL HOT..... I buy a new house with my buddy, Ben - he hasn't cleaned the place since........Michael Vick gets arrested........ basic summertime political wrangling as the candidates vie for votes....... i turn 39, and I start to live like I'm not gonna make 40........ I do happen to run into a beautiful blonde with blue eyes known as Ms. X - things pick up.



August:
The 100 plus temps keep up, and it starts to take it's toll at work. As i put it on August 7th, "It's HOT, evryone is cranky, it needs to cool off." It doesn't.....Charles Butler decides he wants to run for Clyburn's seat - SC6 breaks the story......I get to spend two hours watching Rudy Giuliani in action - I'm sure I picked the right guy.........I infamously bribe Earl out of the Treasurer's race with Arby's and a Ukrainian Beer Team t-shirt..... Ms.X and I bond.



September:
Sept. 11th - things fall apart fast. I lose my job, unemployment benefits, and my sanity........Newt Gingrich tests the presidential waters.....Clyburn kisses Hillary's ass in public.......SC6 gives it's readers a bevy of ways to pick a candidate - Astrology, Chinese Zodiac, even on the issues alone.......Rick Beltram says soemthign stupid - again..........Mahmoud Ahmadinejad comes to the US - we suggest he visit DisneyWorld, then go home.......My old employer keeps me from getting a new job. I introduce SC6 readers to Ms. X, then I quit blogging - for a day....... Sen. Larry Craig's tapping foot makes the headlines........




October:
With the extra time, I write nearly 100 posts this month. I still can't find a job, but I do find a good shrink........Carolina and Clemson lose students to a house fire in Ocean Isle Beach, NC......SoCal goes up in flames also........Florence County Sheriff Kenney Boone switches parties..... SC6 runs it's successfully popular "Extreme Pumpkins" for Halloween....... The Red Sox win the Series, the Yankees lose Joe Torre......I write the Reino Quiz, so you get to know me better...... Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace prize - Hell Freezes Over.




November:
I find stopgap work at my brother's body shop in Hilton Head...... the posts start to slow down. I get lots of time on the radio, unpaid...... I step down from RED's Board of Directors......Rudy and Hillary start to slip in the polls.......




December:
Christmastime, and I'm not feeling it. Plenty of interviews, but no one is deciding whether to hire me or not........ Huckabee is on the rise........I get asked to do the radio show, then it gets cancelled at the last second........Work at my brother's shop dries up for the holidays..........Ms. X takes time off to fix things, and I probably should have kept quiet about it. I'm supposed to hear on work tomorrow, but I've said that before...



2007 was definitely one to remember - for good and bad. I've made a lot of mistakes, and I've done a lot right as well. The worst is about over, and I look forward to a quieter and more productive 2008. Maybe no one is giving me a chance just yet, but someone will, and they'll be glad they did. I think I caught most of the big events, if not tell me what was big for you guys.......

.

5 comments:

earlcapps said...

any reports that i compromised my integrity for the mere price of a roast beef sandwich and T-shirt are totally ludicrous.

folks, don't believe this guy. he will only lead you astray in life.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

OK, maybe it's not true....

hey earl, is it 'he will only lead you astray', or is it 'he will only leave you an ashtray' ???

earlcapps said...

mike, you'd never be generous enough to leave one an ashtray.

Thoroughbred 401k said...

like my best friend growing up always said, "You Reino's are a bunch of one-way MF'ers".. I think I'd deny one an ashtray due to my opposition to smoking.

Anonymous said...

to bad hardees have gone smoke free or you could get your own ashtray cheapskate or is it cheapdate